Is this a good monitor for an amatuer film editor?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by salacious, May 1, 2012.

1. salacious macrumors 6502a

2. WRP macrumors 6502a

Editing... sure. Color correction... no.

One thing, I noticed it is only VGA. I assume you have a DVI connection on your machine.

3. salacious thread starter macrumors 6502a

i got a mbp and it says it has hdmi aswell which is what i was going to use?

but how comes not for colour correction? sorry for sounding like an idiot but i would really need a explanation on what makes it good for colour correction and editing.. if you could :)

thanks

4. Policar macrumors 6502a

There are plenty of DVI/HDMI/VGA/minidisplay port adapters so you can probably make that work.

You need a calibrated monitor for color correction. The cheapest choice is an 11-series or better Panasonic plasma (ideally connected via HDSDI rather than HDMI, but who's counting?--I don't even know why this is the case) properly calibrated by an ISF certified tech. And that's about as cheap as will be "professionally" acceptable, unless you are skilled at calibrating.

But....you can get away with much less if your clients aren't very discerning or you are just making home movies. You can even use a regular computer LCD like the one above and have an okay idea what you're getting.

5. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

How well is the mbp display for color correction? How good of a monitor would someone have to buy for it to outperform the mbp?

I don't have the ideal setup with a 32" 1080p lcd tv and 13" mbp, but whenever I start to color correct anything, I put the viewer on the laptop and leave the palettes and other stuff on the tv. I know this isn't the best setup, but I know it's the best method for what I have.

You might be able to get away with the same thing regarding your setup. Get a cheap monitor and use your laptop screen for the display.

6. mBox macrumors 68020

I got this tip from someone at REDUSER.
    Samsung UN22D5000 (22 inch).
    It has RED, GREEN, BLUE only options which helps for calibrating.
    Picked one up at $250 Canadian.
    Using it at home with Intensity Pro.