is this a good monitor?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by salacious, Jun 30, 2012.

1. salacious macrumors 6502a

Hi Im looking for a good Monitor to edit videos on :
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-U2711-...screen/dp/B003A4H17S/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

if not maybe one for similar price range?

also is there some calibration software under £200? iv never used one before so one thats easier to use perhaps?

I'm on a tight budget and not a professional when it comes to these things, but i learn pretty fast once iv got the product.

thanks

2. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

I don't know why nobody's answered you, but I will.

I have two of those (in different locations) and am 100% satisfied with how they work, using FCP X and FCP 6.

But I don't do color grading, so I can't say anything about calibration.

I don't see how you can go wrong with the U2711.

3. salacious thread starter macrumors 6502a

hey thanks for reply, in the end i went with the u2410 and got a colormunki display swell, some might say i could have got better, but i had a budget and I'm not a professional videographer, I'm just starting out so its good enough for me i reckon.

the u2711 is on my next list, can i ask how you connect it to your mac? iv heard that the dell monitors don't support mac, but people use different methods, apparently clamshell mode brings out the best resolution? but i don't know i have a 2011 13"mbp early and i connect it to my 42 " LG and it works fine so i don't see why it wouldn't with the dell?

4. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

Mine are both connected to Mac Pros, using mini-displayport from ATI 5770.

The 2711 doesn't have a mini-DP port, and the 2410 probably doesn't either, so you'll need to get a MDP --> DP cable, or an adapter.

I've connected them to a mid-2011 MBP via mini-DP and it works fine either open or in clamshell.

It's hard to know what "doesn't support Mac" means re. monitors. I've used a variety of non-Mac monitors with Macs and never had a problem. I suppose that needing a special cable (because of no MDP port on the monitor) might count as not supporting a Mac that only has MDP outputs, but that's really stretching it.