Is this a good option for upgrading my memory?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ls10flpanyc, Jan 6, 2008.

1. ls10flpanyc macrumors newbie

I am new here, although not new to Macs (have had several for the last 14 years), and just ordered a black Macbook after having to spend the last 3 months on an awful Sony Vaio. Although I opted to splurge on the 250GB HDD, I decided (probably like most it seems) I would buy more RAM and install it myself, rather than spending the absurd amount that Apple charges (what are they thinking??).

Anyway, I found this site and this 4GB option, and I just wanted to get opinions on this company/this memory from anyone here who is probably more experienced at upgrading RAM than I am: http://www.datamemorysystems.com/_memory-information/4GB_Kit_DDR2667_SODIMMs_Econo_190Ex2.asp

I just want to make sure it's reliable, and maybe if anyone else has ordered from them, or maybe even ordered that same option, it'd be great to know it won't break after the year warranty or ruin my new Macbook. Thanks!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Data Memory Systems is a good, Mac-supporting company with excellent customer service. I recommend them to US buyers.

4. ls10flpanyc thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you suggest the DMS lifetime warranty because it is actually different, or just because it is more secure to have the lifetime warranty?

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I wouldn't buy any RAM without a lifetime warranty. My 4 GB of G.Skill for $80 has one.

6. ls10flpanyc thread starter macrumors newbie

7. elcid macrumors 6502

To be honest I don't know if I would go that far. RAM is pretty stout piece of hardware with no moving parts that is always kept securely in place if installed correctly. There is little to go wrong and I would never buy an add-on lifetime warranty for RAM. Nor after 3-4 years would I bother even redeeming the lifetime warranty, RAM is pretty cheap these days and new stuff is coming out all the time.

8. Kelly™ macrumors regular

See, im a sucker, I paid apple for my 4GB ram.... <.< >.> seemed easier :p

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've never bought an add-on warranty for RAM. Some manufacturers have "budget" RAM with 1 year warranties. It's worth paying a few dollars more to get the manufacturers lifetime warranty.

Wow, do you start your fires with US$100 bills? I want your job.

10. Kelly™ macrumors regular

I did spent the $700 to up from the 2GB to 4 via Apple.
    Probably wasn't the smartest thing i've ever done, but certainly wasn't the dumbest XD

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm sure you would have liked the US$620 that I saved.

12. Kelly™ macrumors regular

It was one of those things where I was more interested in it coming ready to go rather than having to open it up etc.

Also the fact that pre this dll thing, my assumption was you could only find RAM at a "great" price on eBay, and I dont do ebay.

13. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I suggest that you do some research at various reputable online dealers for computer hardware.

I just bought my MacBook at stock. I've upgraded to 4 GB for dirt cheap and I'll get a hard drive down the road if I need it.

I'm quite saddened at the expenditure that you made but it looks like you can afford to pay that much for the same RAM.

14. Kelly™ macrumors regular

Lesson for the future, don't buy apple ram :)
    check [x] ;)

15. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm glad you learned that.

Now to answer that in a million other times in identical threads. :rolleyes: