Is this a good place for my MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jong Tong, May 25, 2013.

1. Jong Tong macrumors newbie

I found this little slot in my desk where my computer fits perfectly. Do you think it is getting enough air flow? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369549713.500333.jpg

2. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Well considering the vents are wide open to the air I don't see why not. That's a pretty nifty little slot, I wish my desk had one.

Just watch the temps using iStat Pro and make sure they don't go high.

Just don't put it in the other way so that the vents are hidden, since their at the back always put it in the way it is in the picture.

3. Jong Tong thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thanks. That's what I was thinking just wanted to get a second opinion. I have been watching the temps with istat and everything seems to be fine, even when I'm loading it out with ps, illy, and indesign. While running the browser, email and font manager. Oh and let's not forget iTunes. Lol, I think you could say I'm a multi tasker.

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I have a different opinion, there is too little space for it to get sufficient cooling, you could make some small fans on the back to have some airflow.
    I myself would not use it like that.

5. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Listen to this guy ^

I trust him more than me ;p

Although I stay with my opinion I like that spot for myself, if anything happens that's what Applecares for

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

The reasons I think it's not a good idea is:

It a wooden Desktop/cabinet, wood does not transfer heat well, and there is little space for airflow.
    If the back is open it should make a difference, or just get a few small fans inside to have some airflow.
    Like the ones in a Laptop cooler.

It is a nice place though, that I agree.

7. Jong Tong thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, this is under my desk the file cabinet it is sitting on top of is not connected to the desk it has rollers on the bottom of it and can be moved. But never the less this is what it looks like from a side view so you can see the where the front and back are. I have the vents facing an open area
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369558791.818433.jpg

That being said, about 3 feet from where the computer is sitting there is an ac vent. My toes are constantly freezing because my wife likes it cold in the house. Do you think it helps that the vent is under my desk also?
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369558919.050185.jpg

8. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Ah, I see now, I thought it was an enclosed compartment.
    Just run some demanding Apps, then monitor the temps and feel how hot the MBP is, if all is OK it should be OK.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm of the opinion that it still may be too confining, but as justperry mentioned, run demanding apps and see how how it gets. I personally wouldn't risk it

10. Toby Ziegler macrumors regular

Toby Ziegler

I'd be more worried about any expansion of the wood...doesn't look like there's much space in there. A few centimeters of expansion and you've got a jammed MBP or worse.

11. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Wood expansion only happens when the wood was wet before.;)

12. Kushp14 macrumors regular

if its shut down/sleep why would it need airflow

13. Bear macrumors G3

if the temps in istat are alright, there should be no problem. Especially with the air conditioning vent being so close.

14. TjeuV macrumors 6502

It's running in clamshell mode ;)

15. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Let's also not forget almost all desks are not real wood anymore. Judging from the appearance it looks like that particle board ish material so popular in furniture now.

That stuff is a lot of glue, since it's not real I doubt it will expand.

16. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

OOOOhhhhh how cozy!!

I would say its fine because the worst that could happen is it overheats and shuts off safely. It probably never will.

17. Jong Tong thread starter macrumors newbie

18. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

It's probably fine there. Just don't let anyone sit or lean on your desk, or put anything really heavy on it. There's not very much clearance above the laptop.

For that reason alone, I probably wouldn't keep it there, because I wouldn't want to have to bother with the weight concern on the desk so much.