Price Advice Is this a good price? Even with a 'big' SSD?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mac-collector, May 16, 2012.

1. mac-collector, May 16, 2012
    Last edited: May 16, 2012

mac-collector macrumors regular

mac-collector

I'm looking to buy a late MBP late 2011:

MacBook Pro 15" Hi-res display
    2.4 GHz i7
    16 GB RAM
    512 GB SSD
    Brand new - 1 battery cycle! Still in original box. No scratches or anything.

He's asking for $3,399. What do you guys think? And I know of the (alleged) new one, but I really need it now.

2. MacVibe macrumors regular

$1,869 from Apple refurb store
    $80 for 16 GB ram (newegg)
    $500 for 512 GB SSD (sata III, crucial m4 deal)

So, if I was buying that computer used, even with only 1 battery cycle on it, I wouldn't pay more than $2,300

3. mac-collector thread starter macrumors regular

mac-collector

So where can I get it for $2,300?

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

The $1,869 is for the regular resolution model. $1,999 for the refurb Hi-Res.

Still I'd agree that $2,300 is the highest you should go. I wouldn't go higher than 90% cost of items that no longer have their full warranty life remaining.

It doesn't matter what Apple charges for those upgrades. They are a huge ripoff. They are no better than what you get aftermarket. Heck the SSD probably is not as good.

5. MacVibe macrumors regular

You asked about "good price". The list of prices provided for the ram, ssd, and computer put you under $2,500 for a computer directly from Apple with full applecare support. You can buy it there.

When looking at used (or third-party refurbished) I usually knock off 10% from the Apple refurbished store price when considering if an item is a "good price". I would say $2,300 is a good price, if I was going to spend $2,500 on the specs you mention, I would buy from Apple refurb and have more piece of mind.

6. mac-collector thread starter macrumors regular

mac-collector

So these are the expensive choices:

New from Apple (only 8 GB RAM): $3,600
    Refurb + 16 GB RAM + 512 SSD: $2,600
    Used: He said he could bring it down to $3,100

So where can I get it for less that $2,300?

7. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

He didn't say you -could- get one for $2300, he said you -shouldn't- pay more than $2300 for a used one from a third party.

Given that you can buy a refurb and the additional parts for (about) $2500-$2600, I agree with him.

In short, the deal you have been offered for the used one isn't too good. About $1000 too much.

8. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

You can get really close to $2,300 with a used model on eBay. Then a new SSD and new RAM. If you could actually find a used one on eBay customized to those specs it would be expected to go for $2,300.

9. ellaimac macrumors regular

Here are the specs i got from Macrumors buying guide:

High-end 15":

Core i7 2.4 Ghz (Quad-Core)
    Ram: 4gb 1333Mhz DDR3 sdram (max. 16 gb)
    Graphics: Intel HD 3000 graphics and AMD Radeon HD 6770M
    Graphics Memory: 384 MB shared + 1 GB GDDR5
    Screen: 15.4" LED widescreen at 1440x900 or 1680x1050
    Storage: 750 GB HDD
    Ports: 2x USB 2.0, 1x FW 800, 1x ThunderBolt, SDXC Card Slot
    Keyboard: Full-size backlit keyboard
    7 hours battery
    Weight: 2.54 kg

Apple's price is said to be $ 2,199 or E1,489

I put this because you want one for less than $2,300
    buy from: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro
    Select "15 inch: 2.4 Ghz"

10. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Also do remember, the MBP is due for a refresh any day now. So instantly the refurb costs will drop probably around 7-10% from Apple as soon as that happens. My guess he is trying unload his 2011 to buy a 2012 or is strapped for cash or stolen (with only one battery cycle, seems like he has only had it for a very short time so why didn't he return it).

Edit: And No that isn't a good price at all. Especially when buying used, a lot of the bells and whistles (SSD's, Hi-rez displays, etc) tend to be worth almost nothing on the used market. Average Joe doesn't understand most of that, and just wants a "cheap macbook pro"....

11. mac-collector thread starter macrumors regular

mac-collector

I doubt it was stolen with only one battery cycle.

12. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

Did anyone (who posted here) check out the last threads "mac-collector" started. take a look it is quite interesting and helps you to ignore his threads ;)

His Sig alone is a silent shout of him craving for recognition...

13. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Apparently you have never heard of stealing off the back of a delivery truck? They only flip it on once to find out what it's got in it and sell it that way. Don't you find it a little odd that s/he just didn't take it back to Apple and instead are trying to unload it? If it only has 1 battery cycle then they didn't have it for more than the 2 week return period....

14. mac-collector thread starter macrumors regular

mac-collector

It says on the sticker on the packaging 'what it's got in it' anyway. You also get a lot more for selling it unopened in the original packaging.

Oh, I also happen to know for a fact that the person who is selling it didn't steal it - because it's me. I just wanted to set it up like I was the buyer to see what people would say.

----------

Great that you take such interest in me - I really appreciate it. And just between us: I have a bunch of accounts on here and I constantly use them to reply to my own threads - makes it more real. So far I think you are the only poster in this thread that isn't me.

On a side-note: Practice what you Preach, my friend.

15. aloshka macrumors 65816

If all that is true, pretty damn good. Even the context and phrasing of the posts sound different. Not bad, we can say you are officially crazy.