Is this a good price for a used black macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bsolomonny, Jul 18, 2009.

1. bsolomonny macrumors regular

Hi all,
    Just wondering if this is $300 a good price for the below computer:
    Black Apple MacBook 13.3" laptop.
    2.0Ghz Intel Core2 Duo Processor
    2 GB Ram
    80GB Hard Drive
    The seller said everything works except the camera

I was going to buy a new one but i am pretty strapped for cash these days.
    If it is a good price, is there anything i should look for when i go see the notebook.

Thanks

2. travisjacques macrumors member

depends what you need it for, but i would buy it just to have it for leaving the house with. A 300 dollar macbook for taking to school wouldnt be a bad thing. ^^

3. bsolomonny thread starter macrumors regular

I actually had the same computer a few years ago and it served my basic computing needs well. I am hoping this can be my primary computer until the next generation apple computers come out.

I was really excited to get the new macbook pro 13 inch in August with the free ipod touch. I as going to have a family member bring it over to Taiwan for me. I am a student here. But if i get this one i can hold off for a while until the next generation macs come out. Anything is better than the acer one i am using now.

I remember Apple had some diagnostic software that came with my ex girlfriend's applecare. Do they still have it? If so where can i get a copy of it?
    Thanks

4. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Your signature is misleading ;;

5. bsolomonny thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry about that. I had the blackbook then upgraded to the mbp then my boss said i needed to use a PC. Now i am out of work and hate this acer. I should change my signature.

6. stranger danger macrumors member

Your MBP in your signature is way better than the black MacBook. From the specs you're listing, it seems like a second-gen model. Is the lack of an iSight a big deal to you?

Regardless I think the $300 price tag is amazingly cheap as long as the thing is in good condition. You could probably get the iSight fixed or replaced as well through a third-party vendor.

7. fpar macrumors regular

8. bsolomonny thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, i miss the mbp... But that was then and this is now. I hope i can be satisfied by the blackbook for a while. According to the seller the isight just stopped. I have read online that this can be a problem solved by removing the battery and resetting the bios. I will try that out when i see the notebook. Anything else i should test for when i see the notebook. i don't want to get stuck with someone els'es headache.
    Thanks,

9. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...and kick your former boss in the grill for making you get rid of your MBP...

10. bsolomonny thread starter macrumors regular

I will let you know what happens when i see the macbook on Wednesday. As far a kicking my old boss in the grill, i will take a pass on that. The server just would not let my mac connect.

11. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...if you don't work for him anymore, it would make you feel better:D

12. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

$300 for any core2duo macbook in good shape is a good deal IMHO. The fact that it is a blackbook (the real "collector's edition" MacBook) is a definite bonus.

I always loved the look of the blackbook (and had one for a while before purchasing my "CE" unibody MacBook). The two-tone white MacBook is a bit ugly...

13. bsolomonny thread starter macrumors regular

I did some research. I don't think that Apple made the C2D Blackbook with an 80gb HD. From what i read online, they upped the HD to 120 gb on the blackbook when they switched to c2d. So perhaps this is the 1st generation core duo blackbook. Still a good deal?

14. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If it's Core Duo, then it isn't so good. 300$ is great deal though, people buys iBooks for 400-500$. Ask from seller, if it's Core Duo, he have told you wrong info so you must get a discount :p

15. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

I would buy it for $300. Blackbooks were great looking machines.