Is this a good price for an iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by KoukiFC3S, Mar 4, 2012.

  1. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

    Jul 4, 2010
    I'm about to buy an iPad 2 for $425.

    Excellent condition

    I would get the iPad 3, but it would be $780 after tax and I'm on a budget.
  2. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816


    Oct 7, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
  3. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

    Feb 22, 2009
    That's what I was planning on selling mine for.
    (same model in white)
  4. miamialley macrumors 68030


    Jul 28, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    No way. Wait and get a refurb with full warranty. Plus, prices will drop when the 3 is released.
  5. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a


    Apr 24, 2010
    Great deal. I would still wait until the unveiling on Wednesday before purchasing any iPads.

    You can save up the rest of the money over the next few months or settle for a lower capacity. I'd ask the seller if they can wait until then.
  6. deeddawg, Mar 4, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2012

    deeddawg macrumors 604

    Jun 14, 2010
    So the answers are yes, no yes. Best answer so far is wait 'til Wednesday before doing anything. Now let's look at what happened last year...

    New price today on 32GB 3G ipad2 is $729+tax, refurb price is $629+tax from If Apple does the same thing again as last year, on Wednesday the prices will be $629+tax for a new (clearance) one and $559 for the refurb. You'll want to watch Verizon also, since AT&T last year clearanced all 3G ipad models; 16GB were $429 new/clearance and both 32GB and 64GB were $529. Verizon was very aggressive clearing out the ipad1 wifi models; I'd think they'd do similar again with the 3G ipad2.

    So $425 for a 32GB 3G is not a bad price, but it might have a week of warranty left and it's be $70 to add Applecare -- by which point you may as well get a new/clearanced one or a refurb (which comes with new outer shell, new battery, and full warranty).

    Will Apple 100% for sure repeat last year's price cuts? We'll find out. I'd be surprised if they didn't do something fairly similar.

    Open question for others -- seems to me there's more risk buying a used Verizon 3G ipad from someone you don't know. Even if you have every reason to think it's a legit buy, what if a week after you buy it Verizon blacklists the thing, do you have any recourse? With AT&T, get a new SIM, off you go. What do you do with Verizon? (It's for this that I'd be especially suspicious on a Verizon device that's a very good deal relative to other sellers).
  7. ChrisTX macrumors 68030


    Dec 30, 2009
    LOL, the seller is not going to wait. They're trying to maximize profits on their iPad 2 before the iPad 3 is officially announced by Apple.
  8. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

    Jan 13, 2009
    Is it a good price? sure. However, I would wait until Wednesday unless you are in a rush to grab an iPad in the next 48 hours. It's honestly a buyers market for iPad 2.
  9. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

    Jul 7, 2008
    Call VZ before handing over the money to verify the ESN is clean? If the seller won't give you the ESN don't buy it.
  10. deeddawg macrumors 604

    Jun 14, 2010
    Yes, the first part is easy. Can the ESN becomes bad after? i.e. scammer buys from a legit seller on ebay using stolen credit card, then resells it to you quickly. Everything's fine when you buy it, three weeks later credit card chargeback to original seller, he/she reports it stolen, VZ blacklists it. Can this happen? What recourse do you have?

    Clearly with a Craigslist sale if you're concerned, then meet at at Verizon store and have them move the ESN record to you that way perhaps protecting yourself better?

    I'm asking because I'm genuinely curious how to best avoid possibly getting screwed if buying/selling a used Verizon ipad.
  11. notjustgc macrumors 6502

    Jun 18, 2009
    I just sold my 16GB/ATT for $519, so yeah, that's a good price... for now. Thursday will be a whole different story.

Share This Page