Is this a good price on RAM?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by stanw, Mar 7, 2014.

1. stanw macrumors 6502a

2. Lefty21 macrumors regular

It's hard to find an 8 GB stick for less than $75-80 nowadays, so yes, 4 for $292 is a pretty good deal. I've never heard of that website, so I can't vouch for whether they are a reputable dealer or not.

1x16 GB RAM modules are still very uncommon, and you would not notice much of a speed difference anyway.

3. Truthfulie macrumors regular

Good price. B&H is reputable retailer, mostly known for photography equipment but they do sell related computer components as well. I've made multiple purchases before and had no problems. As for the RAM, I hear some people having issues with having 32GB of RAM in new iMacs having random kernel panics. Most likely weird compatibility issue. So make sure you look at their return policy before the purchase.

4. stanw thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies.

1. Regarding issues with 32GB of RAM, are these issues related to this type of RAM or just having 32GB of RAM in it?

2. If 32GB of RAM starts causing problems, can I just remove one of the 8GB sticks to have 24GB?

Thanks.

5. Truthfulie macrumors regular

I think it's related to having full bank of RAMs. People have reported that the issue became apparent when they have their RAM slots full with 32GB. Some have pointed out by using other RAM sticks (same Crucial branded, same specification but different model number) they got rid of the issue. I would think just using 24GB wouldn't cause the issue but I haven't tried using all four slots with 32GB yet myself. There is a thread on this forum discussing the issue if I remember correctly, you might find more help there.

6. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I bought my Crucial 2x8GB at Amazon and it appears to be $12 cheaper at the moment if you buy two packs for 32GB there than the one set from B&H. Amazon's price has actually gone up $5 since I bought it last month.

Note: MacRumors is using Georiot to redirect links to the local Amazon of international users. I'm in Japan but had the RAM shipped from Amazon US. If you're not in the US the link I posted above is likely redirecting you somewhere other than intended. Do a search for CT2C8G3S160BM at Amazon.com. :)

Are there even 16GB DIMMS available? I'd be doubtful the iMac could recognize them and I'm pretty sure Haswell supports a maximum 32GB total anyway.

I bought my iMac with 16GB (2x8GB) so I could just add the 2x8GB on my own and not have anything to remove/replace from the machine.

See this thread. The Haswell Macs are extremely sensitive where RAM is concerned. That said, the abovementioned Crucial is confirmed to be compatible. I'm using it half and half with the stock Apple Elpida for 32GB as we speak. I had a long, torturous journey to get to this point of stability though.

The kernel panics seem to come when using incompatible RAM at 32GB (all 4 slots). That said, the Crucial is compatible so unless you get a bad set (can happen with any maker), you're good.