Is this a good price.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bahiaeternal, Dec 9, 2015.

1. bahiaeternal macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

I am able to purchase a brand new Macbook 12 inch 1.2ghz/512gb Macbook for $1375. I am very aware that this is cheaper that the retail price offered on Apple's website.
    Knowing that a new Skylake is a few months away, and possible upgrades IE. camera and 2nd USB-C port availability would you wait for the next revision or jump on this deal that I was offered above because its a great deal.

My current machine is a 2014 Macbook Air 11 inch, 1.4ghz, 8gb Ram and 128gb sad.

Thank you for all your advice.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Stick with your air or swap that's your choice. Hedging your bets on an update is a long shot though

3. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

How badly do you need the extra storage? I know there's a very slight CPU bump over the base model, but that's just noise IMOHO. I say that because we recently bought two base 1.1/256 models, each around $980. And those deals aren't hard to find. So, if you really need 512 vs 256 storage, go for it. But I doubt you'll see any real difference in the .1 CPU bump, especially since their turbo rates are the same.

Regarding waiting for the next model, I don't know what to tell you. There will always be something bigger and better on the horizon. But as I usually buy open-box or refurb systems, I'm always a couple months behind the curve.

4. bahiaeternal thread starter macrumors newbie

$980 is a great price. Were they brand new units. I don't need the space honestly.

5. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

I found two at our local Best Buy. But I've also seen a few online, for a touch more, but without sales tax.

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

The turbo on both are different 2.4 vs 2.6. To add to that the 1.1 runs hotter and consumes more power than the 1.2. It's defiantly not noise as its backed up with various tests online.

Some might say it's 30-60 minutes difference in battery life depending on usage but 30-60 minutes could mean a lot to some.

7. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Is this really the case? Why would that be?

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

The 1.1 chip is running at its upper limits basically where as the 1.2 is running slower than its maximum.

9. Nychot macrumors 6502a

A few months back i bought a new gold base for $1149 no tax and free shipping. I thought that was a good deal/ AND I have 12 months to pay it off. Best Buy open bpx items can be problematic and you wind up either returning it or having to go to the apple store to get something fixed. They are usually reduced and then another 10 percent is knocked off.

10. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

512 Gb SSD is a very good deal.
    I would buy it in an heartbeat.
    The next revision could take months to appear.

11. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Buy now and be happy :)

Nice bump on the SDD and if a new version in 2016 even has a little bit extra (Unlikely IMO) you will still be happy due to the price you paid

12. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I unfortunately had a moment of weakness when I was outbid on a MacBook on eBay. Could have had a base model for $875. I don't need but I want it so I gave in to my conscience for a moment.