Is this a good purchase?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iWinnipegger, Apr 22, 2007.

1. iWinnipegger macrumors regular

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i don't know about other people, but i wouldn't pay $250+ for a 600 mhz g3.

3. iWinnipegger thread starter macrumors regular

yeah but it has half a gig of ram, 120GB harddrive, Mouse,Keyboard Powercord, Tiger, iLife05, OfficeMac, and i'll only be using it for internet browsing chatting, and i just think it'll look really cool in my room, what do you think?

4. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

personally, i don't like the way mac os x performs on g3 macs. i had a 500 mhz ibook, and i had to go back to classic to make the machine feel fast again. we have panther on a g3 imac at work, and i usually opt to work on the windows pc instead. i know, the horror. but it seems like you have your mind set on this decision, so enjoy your purchase. :)

5. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

For the specific usage you outlined plus the coolness factor, I believe you should go for it.

6. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

I think it's a reasonable deal. Just to let you know... I just spent $150 to upgrade my iMac G3 500 MHz. to 768 MB RAM and a 120 GB HD. I had to buy a 512 chip and I already had a 256 MB chip.

Knowing its speed before the RAM and HD were upgraded and the speed it works now proves that it can be a great machine for Tiger. I thought it was decent before I made the changes now it's great. The only problem is that I can't use my isight in iChat since the processor is 50 MHz. too slow. (Damn you ichat). I do know there are various programs I can use to get around it.

7. Frankf300 macrumors regular

Frankf300

Considering its specs, I'd say go for it considering it will only be like a backup computer. The price isn't honestly that bad considering how it has been upgraded. I run Panther on my 900mhz G3 and I've heard of people running Tiger on Clamshells with barely any RAM. I can't see this having that much of a problem with Tiger. Granted, I really can't see it running some of the iLife apps that well, but that's not what you're buying for it really. Yes, it is a very sexy machine :) . I'd say go for it, for $250, it's not a bad computer to have around.