Is this a good reason to switch?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bigtyme07, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Bigtyme07 macrumors newbie

I'm a minimalist at heart, I've completely quit gaming and the only reason I've been a PC user my whole life is due to gaming. After stopping gaming I've mostly been into reading books, web browsing, and music production and possibly getting into programming/coding, I don't know what the proper term is. The thing is, is that ever since I stopped gaming I've noticed the small intricacies of Windows that reallllllly bother me due to my OCD personality which is where my question comes in. Almost all of the problems I have with Windows are minor annoyances that don't really interfere with me using the system as a whole but things like random black windows popping up and going away, poor scaling on my smaller laptop that makes text in browsers and certain applications look fuzzy, the lack of polish that windows brings to the os, and the overall lack of a connection between my computers and my phone. Just want your guys 2 cents on if that's a valid enough reason to switch over. Thanks!

2. maculateConception macrumors 6502

maculateConception

Why not continue to be a PC user AND also get a Mac and try it out ?! When I got my first Macbook Pro in 2009, I also built myself a $4000 Windows 7 beast. That way, I got the best of both worlds ... I gamed on my beast PC and enjoyed the finesse and stability of the Mac.

Personally, as a computer enthusiast, I would want to keep up with both major platforms (and others such as the Linux realm).

This is not an either-or question, according to me. Definitely try out Mac ! Don't need to give up the PC.

3. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

I would say no if it's little things even allowing for adjustment they are equally likely to drive you nuts even the missing delete key for example or how the finder or focus taskbar is static really grind at times IMO :)

The random black screens you see I suspect is simply how some apps update and you see very briefly the black command line window, Scaling issues I seldom see and it's poor programming of older 3rd parties not W10

What Phone issue ? If you have Icloud for windows installed you should have 95% of most features for IPhone more with a few apps added and almost all with android other than call answering plus all the extras like drag and drop etc not on Iphones

Good idea to get a cheap 2nd hand Mac to try and play with you can always put windows on it too via bootcamp :D

4. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

I switched a few years back,when I got pissed by my windows 8 computer. Since then,I never had any serious issues with crashing or unstable software. I bought a MacBook Pro retina 13 inch,never regretted it since.

5. FelixII macrumors regular

FelixII

I've switched from PC to Mac around 4 years ago and kept a PC solely for gaming. I'm currently in the process of streamlining my equipment and will most likely also get rid of the gaming PC because I don't play a lot of games anymore. For me, working on a Mac has a few key advantages over working on a PC:
    • The handling of apps is a lot more consistent. On Windows, I've mainly worked with a mix of legacy Win32 programs and modern apps. Every application has a different user interface (toolbars, menubars, ribbons etc.). On Mac, I can rely on consistent menus and keyboard shortcuts, which are also customizable in system preferences.
    • Apps are more versatile and better integrated with the system. I use a lot of utility tools to improve my productivity like Alfred, PopClip and BetterTouchTool. On Windows, I cannot even find a decent clipboard manager like Alfred or Paste.
    • Continuity with other Apple devices. I own an iPhone, an iPad and an Apple Watch and Apple's integrations allow me to quickly transfer files, write messages on my Mac and unlock it with my Apple Watch. I also like the fact that many macOS apps have an iOS counterpart and synchronize seamlessly over iCloud.
    • Access to Apple developer tools. I develop apps for iOS, watchOS and macOS. The required tools are only available on a Mac. At the same time, you also have access to most other development environments like Visual Studio and Android Studio.
    As a longtime Windows user, the Mac takes a while to get used to. You have to relearn some concepts and really take advantage of the capabilities macOS and third-party tools have to offer. If you use a Mac like a Windows machine and expect everything to work the same way, you will quickly get disappointed. But by now I can work much more productive and wouldn't want to switch back.

6. Bigtyme07 thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool I'll probably end up doing this as I wouldn't mind getting into CAD and Adobe which I believe performs a bit better on PC due to the CUDA technology. Thanks!

7. Mr. Dee, Jun 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2017

Mr. Dee macrumors 65816

Mr. Dee

Still love Windows 10 either way. Operating systems in 2017 are so much alike because of one thing - the Internet. I have to say 90 percent of my time is in a web browser, and browsers like Firefox, Chrome, Opera pretty much work the same way. The things that differentiated the Mac probably 10 or 15 years ago are not that must have now. The Photos app for instance is not a must have, neither is iMovie or most of what comes bundled with the OS. macOS does have some unique capabilities. For instance, I like how easy I can find and preview files and batch edit photos. There are some smaller things like how much easier it is to partition a drive. Are these must have features? No. The cohesive experience between hardware and software is probably the most advantageous. The touchpad gestures for example are superb. I can be in one app, hover my mouse pointer over the iTunes volume slider, gently increase or lower the volume without leaving my active app. Little things like that I still can't do in Windows 10.

When combined with iOS devices like an iPhone, the Mac can even be more advantageous. I don't even connect a cable to my iPhone, I sync and share over wireless. I just love how Airdrop works, connect, send, done. If little things like this matter, then yeah, a Mac is a great computer to get. One other thing I should note, in 2017, I have pretty much become operating system agnostic. I move between Linux, Windows 10 and macOS just as seamless as I do web browsers.

8. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

If you want to try a Mac, then BUY a Mac.
    BUT... don't get rid of the Windows machine quite yet.

I suggest you keep the old system running and close-at-hand for at least 2-3 months after you get the MacBook. Then, "transition" a little at a time from one to the other. If you get hung up, you'll still have the old, familiar system still running to fall back on.

For the uses you mentioned above, just about any MacBook Pro should do.

BE AWARE that new models are going to be announced on Monday/Tuesday.
    DO NOT make a final decision until you see what's announced and you know what's coming out.

The 13" non-touchbar is a decent-enough MacBook.
    If you want 4 USB-c ports instead of 2, you have to move up to the touchbar model.