is this a good time for buying an ipod touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by iNassar, Oct 7, 2009.

1. iNassar macrumors member

The camera was obviously removed because of technical difficulties,but do you people think an ipod touch with camera may be released soon? I want one ,but im afraid of buying it now and that in 2 months or so a new ipod touch with camera is released.

2. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

The Touch was updated three weeks ago,
    Apple have updated iPod Touch once a year the three last years.
    I don't think anything will happen with the touch within two months.

3. iNassar thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, but I think the camera feature was removed because a last minute technical difficulty or something related. It is really strange that case manufacturers produced cases with a camera hole on them and that the new ipod models have a space where a camera would perfectly fit. So im afraid that apple may correct this issue they had with the camera and launch unexpectedly a new version with camera.

4. iRance macrumors regular

I'd buy one now.
    There won't be a new iPod Touch until next September.

5. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

+1

The more you wait, the more you're deprived of all the benefits of using an iPod Touch.

6. na1577 macrumors 6502a

It's always a good time to update right after a revision... but if a camera is important to you, I would recommend waiting. It's highly unlikely that Apple will leave what is essentially the same product on the market for two full years.

7. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

I'm in the same situation like iNassar.

Anyways, what I do is wait until around December 20 before buying.
    Who knows what happens until then,... :D

8. albusseverus macrumors 6502a

albusseverus

Depends what you want to use it for.

My recommendation would always be - get an iPhone. It does everything you want to do (until the tablet comes out, obviously). One device is the killer feature.

As Phil said in the keynote - the Touch is for giving kids for 'the holidays'. Cheap games and no hassles with phone plans. Or if you're stuck with a phone and just want to participate in the Touch experience, for what that's worth without a camera.

Not having the camera has really killed the Touch this year. Half the potential customers will simply hold off, hoping that Apple will refresh mid-cycle with a decent camera (the space is there for it, the cases were made for it…). I imagine they could even hold off until next year to see if it gets a camera then.

If you want a games machine with Wi-Fi and don't want the camera (or a phone). It's OK to buy now, no regrets. Otherwise, frankly, iPhone is 'cheaper' up front (but you have to -want- the phone plan) and has more features.

If you're wondering whether Apple will refresh with a camera once they see sales died, basically you're screwed. Nobody can tell you. On past performance, it's unlikely, but you can't judge Apple on past performance. And you can't predict using logic, because Apple doesn't do that either.

If you're even thinking about a Touch, you probably don't want 'one device', and I'm sure Apple has done its market research very carefully. Maybe they really do think it will sell satisfactorily as a games device. And maybe when they decide what the tablet will actually do, maybe people who want an 'iPhone without the phone', will buy a tablet and orphaning the Touch as a games machine will make more sense.

If you think about it - the sales are about 50:50 Touch:iPhone. You can imagine Apple would try to push more people to iPhone and not including a camera (even if there's space for it), and no matter how silly that sounds to you and me, might be a deliberate move, not some last minute technical problem.

Nobody can say for sure. Sorry.

9. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

Obviously, you don't understand why some people opt for iPod Touch instead of iPhone. iPod Touch users all know how great the iPhone is, yet we still opt for iPod Touch for various reasons.

As for me, I don't mind carrying two devices instead of one, and I'd rather save the hundreds of dollars in two years by not using the iPhone with AT&T.

10. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

I would wait until Black Friday if you live in the states. Certainly the best time to buy anything. Stores will usually have sales on them either at cheaper prices, or if you buy one you get a free case or an iTunes store card.

This way, you will pass the Oct. 14th event, and if they don't change anything, you will be getting something out of it on Black Friday (Day after Thanksgiving).

EDIT - Just FYI, my iPod Touch's screen cracked when it was dropped (still works just fine), instead of getting another one now, I'm waiting for Black Friday as well (unless my iPod stops working). I've been saving money for some time now to get some things I need during that day (I need a new HD, another large flash drive, the iPod Touch, a plug-in iPod charger, an iPod Radio Dock, a set of speakers for my HDTV, another controller for my PS3, and some clothes).

And as for the camera, I'm not waiting for that. I want the 64GB iPod Touch. I have a Blackberry and I like its camera with flash just fine. I can take my pictures and upload them from my phone, text them to my friends. IMO, without a service plan, a camera on the iPod Touch is pointless. And if I wanted to film something, I've got a much nicer camera for that!

11. shadowbird423 macrumors regular

shadowbird423

16 Gig Toshiba flash drive at Sams Club. $30. I almost bought 2, it was so cheap.....