Is this a good time to buy a MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Onewa80, Oct 3, 2011.

  1. Onewa80 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2011
    #1
    I feel like I need to say this every time I start a topic like this here: If this is needed be closed, go ahead, and if there's already a topic like this out there, I would love to be directed to it. I made a topic similar to this months ago and now that there are more rumors, I'm wanting to see if anything has changed.

    I've been saving up for a 13in Core i7 2011 MBP for a couple months(Money issues. Sigh) to do some professional work on it, and I'm afraid the moment I buy it, a new one will come out. Stuff like that happens with apple, lol.

    I'm usually on top with the rumors and love to hear little leaks and tidbits like that, but for some reason I can't pin-point any idea on when it will come out.

    Does anyone know if I buy the MBP this month or next month that it will still be new and a new one won't take it's place? Thanks.:apple:

    (Just saying, I'd LOVE to get a 15in but as I said, I can't shave money like that off.)
     
  2. alust2013 macrumors 601

    alust2013

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2010
    Location:
    On the fence
    #2
    According to the buyer's guide, it's not the best time, but there won't be significant changes until probably spring next year, as there aren't new components out yet. Maybe a slight processor bump, but nothing big.

    I'd also just get the i5. The extra $300 really doesn't get you a whole lot.
     
  3. mountains macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2011
    #3
    Is there even a processor out for the 13" to be bumped up to? My understanding is that the new processors were only really applicable to the 15/17.
     
  4. stark4 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2008
    Location:
    Florida
    #4
    i think the new one is coming out pretty soon.
     
  5. Off1c3r macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2011
    #5
    I wanted it now and I didn't want to wait. I mean if they get CPU bumps, its not the end of the world. If its a major design change which I Doubt, it might bother me a little but who cares. The current one looks great and has great specs. A Quad core i7 2.2 will last you a while.
     
  6. lll macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2011
    #6
    I am in the same boat as you, sold my Dell laptop 2 weeks ago. I do not own a personal desktop or laptop. I might just play the hold and wait game until a fresh update or completely new design early next year. Nothing beats having money in the bank accumulating interest.
     
  7. stark4 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2008
    Location:
    Florida
    #7
    so how are you posting this?
     
  8. Off1c3r macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2011
    #8
    He sneaks into his neighbors house when they are sleeping :eek:
     
  9. thunng8 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2006
    #9
  10. likers macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2011
    #10
    LOL~~~:eek:Cool man~~~
     
  11. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

    gorskiegangsta

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2011
    Location:
    Brooklyn, NY
    #11
    It won't be "new one" by any stretch of imagination. If Apple is to do anything, they will likely add more CPU upgrade options for built-to-order on higher end 15" and 17" models.



    To the OP:
    You asked when is it a good time to buy? My advice would be, when you need it. If you need it now, buy it and enjoy it. It would serve you for yeas to come.
    Another advice I have to give is, do not pay extra $250 for the 2.7 core i7 13" model. Get the 2.3 i5 model and save the rest of the money, or direct it towards something more worthy (e.g. AppleCare, or future upgrades.)

    Good luck with your planned purchase. :)
     
  12. lll macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2011
    #12
    I'm posting surfing the web during my lunch breaks, on my
    Work desktop. At home I use my trusty iPhone 3GS to surf and check emails leeching of free internet my brothers paying for.

    I have 30k savings earning 80$ a month interest, 26 years old, only debt is student loan 16k monthly expenses 400 < just petrol, free rent at home >. Will suze orman approve my purchase of a MacBook pro.
     
  13. Philflow macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 7, 2008
    #13
    It's quite likely we're going to see newer CPUs soonish.
     
  14. eternalife macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2011
    #14
    It's very doubtful you will see any 'must have' changes that you would regret. Things like when Thunderbolt came out or USB 3 in the future. Those are things that would make me want to hold off. A simple bump in CPU would be no big deal. You are 6 months or so from a new release so if you need a machine now go for it. If you don't, keep saving and who knows, maybe you will have enough for the 15" by then.
     
  15. Risasi macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2011
    #15

    This is good advice. I've come to the conclusion that buying the base model is generally the best "bang for buck" choice.
    If you do go with a MBP want to spend that $250, I would recommend you take that extra $250 and put it into an SSD drive. That is the weak link in the MBP's right now. It sounds like you don't "need" it per se. If you can hold out, I would until next major refresh (probably 2nd qtr 2012 or early 3rd qtr 2012).
     
  16. phillytim macrumors 6502a

    phillytim

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2011
    Location:
    Philadelphia, PA
    #16
    If you want a MBPro now, then get it now. Period.

    No one, nobody, no how knows when the next release will occur. But I know one thing, there will be absolutely nothing significantly different about the MBPro until Intel's Ivy Bridge chip comes out in H1-2012 (first half of next year, expected around March or April). Then a lead time of about a month or two until Apple releases computers with the chip.

    That's the only thing to wait for now. Just get it now unless you wish to wait half a year...or so.
     
  17. Srirama macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2010
    Location:
    Chennai
  18. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2006
    Location:
    Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    #18
    If that's the case then now would be a good time to buy. You basically want to try and buy when a major change isn't too close. I bought my current mid-2010 2.4Ghz i5 MacBook Pro in late September 2010. The next model (the current one out I believe) didn't come out until 4 or 5 months later.

    Usually I like to sell my the MBP I have at the time before the AppleCare runs out but I Forgot to buy Applecare this time. I'm going to call Apple today and see if they'll still let me buy it now that I'm a week out. If they don't, I wonder when I'll replace this.
     
  19. badtzwang macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2009
    #19
    If you have 30k savings and 16k of outstanding loans ... why don't you pay them off?
     
  20. Onewa80 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2011
    #20
    Iseewhatudidthar

    Those saying go for the i5: Trust me, I'm needing all the good specs I can get right now, I can't get a 15in or higher. Trust me, that's my highest and I need it. Just saying
     
  21. lll macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2011
    #21
    Because my student loan is interest free, i reside in NEW ZEALAND, hence it does not worry me at the moment to pay it off. Unless i obtain credit from banks then it maybe a factor not lending my any money.
     

Share This Page