Is this a good time to grab a bargain iPad 1st gen?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by princealfie, Mar 11, 2011.

1. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

With dropped prices on the first iPad, is this is a good time to keep one up as a bargain?

2. freeman727, Mar 11, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011

freeman727 macrumors 6502

Yes, I'm negotiating $380 for a mint 32gb with case and applecare for $380! A similar spec'ed ipad 2 would be 499+100+50+tax.

3. unlimitedx macrumors 6502a

Great deal, indeed. BUT, the iPad 2 is more awesome.

4. freeman727 macrumors 6502

agreed. no arguing but I think ipad 1 will hold me over until ipad 3. Especially for the $$$.

I could afford it but I already have an iphone for facetime and a PS3 for gaming.

I'm buying it for Evernote, Keynote, Safari and Toddler Games. Different strokes for different folks.

I for one have fell into the trap of 'needing' the latest and greatest but in actuality I need very little. Case in point is my Mac Pro. :p

5. dp118 macrumors newbie

Absoluetely Good Time to Buy

It is a very good time to buy an original iPad. Just observe the normal caveats.

Virtually all original iPads are still under their 1 year warranty. You can extend this a year by purchasing an AppleCare Extended 1-yr Warranty before the original runs out. In many ways, this a similar to purchasing a one year old automobile. The original owner has taken the major hit in depreciation and with a little good buying sense you will get a like-new product.

This is assuming you observe some traditional buyer precautions. I suggest you check the serial number (on Apple's website) beforehand and get the original receipt for warranty work and/or insurance purposes. Check the iPad over thoroughly (if able) for any external damage or signs it was abused or dropped. Ask the seller directly if it has been serviced, and if so, for what. If it is a 3G model, make sure the micro-sim card is installed and hasn't been removed. Some sellers have accumulated accessories which are unique to the original iPad and will probably throw those in for free or little money.

If buying online (Amazon used, eBay or other auctions) and shipping is required, request the seller clearly state the condition and send some photos (closeups of the screen both off and on). They ought to be willing to send you the serial number for Apple verification. Insist the shipper use an insured, delivery confirmation process which includes delivery signature by you. Only purchase sight-unseen using a failsafe method of payment (PayPal, credit card, etc). Watch out for inflated shipping charges on eBay. Some sellers list low prices using the buy-it-now program, then charge outrageous shipping charges to avoid eBay fees and sucker in buyers.

A market like this brings out the scammers and fraudsters in every arena. Use normal, prudent, buyers precautions and you should be able to get a great deal on a nice used iPad. Good luck!