Is this a good trade? 2013 base MBA for 2011 i7 MBP 15

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by onecoolazzgeek, Jul 28, 2013.

1. onecoolazzgeek macrumors member

So, Im getting into making videos and decided to grab one of the new MBAs. As awesome as they are, they are not that powerful and Im seeing long times for transcodes (2 hours iMovie, 35 min Premier Pro). I looked around and saw that I should get a laptop with a dedicated GPU if I want to get an all around better experience. I see someone on Craigslist that wants to trade a well kept 2011 cMBP 15 with the 6750m and 8gb. I have the baseline new 13 MBA. Should I trade?

PS: Open to other deals if you know of any. Got the laptop at Best Buy yesterday and still have 59 days to return (Rewardzone Platinum).

2. onecoolazzgeek thread starter macrumors member

I'm an idiot. Just realized the reason things were going so slow, at least in iMovie, was because I was finalizing rather than sharing/exporting. I still think Im going to take this back to Best Buy though and possibly get a rMBP or cMBP 13 since I have a spare SSD and 8gb of RAM lying around.

3. Bobeder9 macrumors member

The i7 MBP w/ dedicated GPU will definitely be a lot faster because of the raw processing power with 4 cores and the dedicated GPU. Also, the screen real estate would be nice if you don't have an external monitor. I think it would be a good trade for video and all of the extra power.