Is this a GOOD TRADE? my iMac for a MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BaronvdB, Aug 19, 2009.

1. BaronvdB macrumors 6502

BaronvdB

Hey Guys,

I have a local guy that is willing to do an even trade for my iMac for his MBP b/c he wants a desktop. Any known problems with that model MBP?

My iMac specs: Mid 2007 Alum. 2.4ghz, 320gb, 4gb ram, apple care until sept 2010. This is totally mint--I'm like a lot MR members and really baby my machines.

His MBP specs: Late 2008 Uni MBP 2.4ghz, 320gb, 2gb ram, warranty until feb 2010. He says this is mint condition also but I don't know for sure yet.

The main differences are obviously the screen size, my imac has a 7200rpm drive vs. the 5400 rpm of the mbp, and my imac has 4gb ram vs. 2gb in the mbp. My iMac is also under warranty longer.

Do you guys know if the mbp and the imac take the same ram? Maybe I could work keeping my 4gb ram into the deal so i could put that in the mbp.

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna do the trade. I just need some opinions.

2. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Sounds like a good trade for you. Newer MacBook Pro for an older iMac. The RAM in the MBP is faster than whats in your iMac though. The iMac has PC2-5300 and the MBP uses PC3-8500

3. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

I KNOW the prev macbooks took the same ram as the iMac, not sure about the unibodys. I'd try to keep the RAM and maybe even sell it (if you can). But good trade. If it doesn't go through I'll have my GF trade her iMac for it ;)

4. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

If the warranty expires Feb 2010, you could always buy AppleCare which would run til Feb 2012 so might be a better option.

5. Ramonesmania macrumors newbie

It all depends on what you need it for. If I was you, I'd keep the imac. It's a more powerful machine, simple as that.

You have the same speed processor, a faster hard drive, more RAM, a longer warranty, a bigger screen, and some sort of mental illness if you think this is a good deal !

The only reason I see for making this kind of trade is if you're going to college or you travel a lot, and even then, your signature says you already have 2 macbooks, so if you need a new laptop sell those and buy one of the new macbook pros.

6. macboy4 macrumors regular

If you need a portable this is a good deal. If memory serves, that iMac cost about $1500 new back in 2007.

The MBP cost $500 more than that when it came out and is over a year newer, assuming you bought the iMac right when it came out.

As for the specs, the MBP has DDR3 RAM and you can get 4GB for about $70.

The HDD can be replaced with a 500GB 7200 RPM for about $150. I don't think you'll notice much of a difference as is, but my point is you can upgrade it to BETTER than the iMac for just a couple hundred bucks.

7. BaronvdB thread starter macrumors 6502

BaronvdB

Well I guess I'm mental...i'm doing the trade...I only have 1 macbook at the moment (I sold the air) and my wife usually uses the iMac and now she will use this MBP...I think we'll get a lot more use out of the laptop b/c the iMac is in a room where we don't really go too often....i might buy a refurb cinema display later so if we need the 24" screen we can plug in either one of our laptops...i just hope the MBP is in the condition the guy described it as...and we do travel a decent amount so now if my wife goes somewhere without me (like to visit her parents) she'll have her own laptop.

I made a time machine back up of my iMac---is that all i need before i erase the imac hard drive?

8. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

If you have a firewire external drive around then i would use Carbon Copy Cloner to make an exact duplicate of your iMac. Then when you get the MBP just put it into target disk mode and clone it from the external. You will have your exact machine with all of your settings now on your MBP. I did this recently with an iMac upgrade of my own.

9. BaronvdB thread starter macrumors 6502

BaronvdB

Well I just got back from meeting this guy and the trade is done....it wasn't as "mint" as he said as it has several scratches on the bottom but the screen is good and everything else looks ok...I'm OCD so I really expect things to be perfect but in realty it's in good shape..he also forgot the installation disks and he's going to mail them to me (we'll see if that ever happens--CL people aren't the most reliable)...but all in all I think it was a pretty even trade.

10. Ninja Guidan macrumors regular

Just get Snow Leopard next month

11. BaronvdB thread starter macrumors 6502

BaronvdB

Yeah, I've got my preorder in for it....i just like to have all the original accessories so when I decide to sell it the new owner will have everything.

12. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

congrats on your trade :) Hope your MBP works out well for you.