Is This A Good Trade ? My iMac for MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RSNL, Mar 18, 2008.

1. RSNL macrumors regular

Hi,
    Trading my 3 month old iMac Aluminum 2.4ghz 1GB 320GB HD with apple care for a used 2.33 ghz 120GB HD MBP with 20 months more of applecare left.
    This is through craigslists and I know I shouldn't be getting second hand when it comes to computers but it still does come with applecare. Is this a fair trade for me or not? I just dont want to get ripped off, what should be looking for before doing this trade. Thanks in advance guys!:D

2. timimbo85 macrumors regular

timimbo85

i wouldn't go for it, i would only trade if i knew the person and can trust them. You dont know, maybe he stole the MBP and wants it out of his hands. Be cautious.

3. RSNL thread starter macrumors regular

well he would have to transfer the applecare to me so being stolen is out of the question really...other than that is it fair?

4. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

you *might* be *slightly* losing out on the deal..referb imac like that is 1499 i'd say that MBP is *prolly* worth about $1399 (2.2 santa rosa is $1449, yes this is faster 2.33 but not SR and NOT LED screen)

but i'd still say its a good trade

5. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

Well, what are your needs? Why trade a desktop for a laptop? If you need a laptop because you need a computer to travel with or conduct presentations, then it's something to consider. If you live in small quarters and have a space issue, then you also have a reason to switch. But as someone who has an iMac & a MBP, I can tell you that the experience of using the iMac is much different and in many ways better for me and my needs. When I am at home, I prefer the extra screen real estate, the feel of the desktop keyboard, the larger HD, etc. The MBP is for work and when I travel. And, as great as it is, I couldn't see myself giving up my iMac for it for home use. But that's just me.

6. valiechemicalie macrumors member

Why get a macbook pro when you already have a macbook?

You have power at home and small portability for on the road

7. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

MB + imac

or

MBP

no need for

MBP + iMac

if you want a MBP, you would be better off selling the iMac and MB for cash and buy a new penryn MBP.

8. makasin macrumors member

it would be worth it as long as the computer itself isnt a lemony piece of crap.
    Make sure you play around with it for a bit just in case. Cause what if he wants to trade because his computer has fatal flaws that you will now be responsible for getting fixed. Yes AppleCare is great, but in my experience, the apple genuises aren't very helpful when you have tons of issues. And remember that if u hand it over to them, it will be in their custody, not yours, for about a week. Just my 2 cents.

9. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

No dont do it, period. If anything just sell your imac and buy the newer mbp :D

10. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

i've been selling and buying at craiglist.
    my two cents:

sell then buy.
    or bu then sell.
    NEVER trade!

don't take the short cut, you'll find better deals if you alot some time to check all your options.

11. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

I agree.

Get the best out of your deal by selling your iMac if you don't want it anymore and look for better options. Trading is always awkward in situations like these.

Or just keep what you have. You already own a MB.

12. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

I say keep what you got unless your looking for a laptop, but you could still get a better deal.