Is this a good way to prep for sale??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 87am, Mar 9, 2011.

1. 87am macrumors regular

Hi so I don't have the original boot discs for my macbook, but I want to securely erase my data before I sell it. I was thinking I could set up a new administrator account, erase my old account, and then do a 7-wipe pass. Would this adequately erase my data. Or do I need to do a clean install? Thanks for any replies. Sorry if this is covered somewhere else I am in a rush and posting this from my phone.

2. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

Do you mean a 7-pass wipe across all empty space on the drive? That would probably be okay. Not as good as a full disk wipe and reinstall, but okay.

3. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

You are better off doing a clean install / referring to factory settings, but I guess your other method would be ok.

4. 87am thread starter macrumors regular

Why would it not be as good?

5. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

if it were me, I would be concerned about applications licensed to me that included my information. Or data on the drive I might have saved outside my account folder. Or network settings that might allow the device to connect to my home wifi. Or liability for an OS failure after the sale, which I'd be powerless to assist with. Or any of dozens of other things I would likely forget to deal with until after the device is no longer in my possession.