Is this a good wireless router?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Battlefield Fan, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

2. cube macrumors G4

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Umm I thought iPod/iPhones had 802.11b/g?

That Netgear router is N, try going for G routers. It's significantly cheaper and still reasonably fast.

4. paduck macrumors 6502

Most of the online reviews seem to think it is ok. It doesn't have a lot of flexibility though, as mentioned previously. Why does your friend need 802.11n? 802.11g is probably sufficient. If he goes with the slower speed ("only" 54Mbps) then he could get something like this Linksys:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8741356&type=product&id=1202648529060

or this Netgear router:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=5507043&type=product&id=1051826245223

and save some money. They both rate pretty well. I'm still using a Linksys WRT-54G v2 which is very good for iPhone/iTouch. I'm not convinced you need to go overboard with your wireless router. Mine is also pushing a VOIP connection, several computers and an Apple TV. I have the dd-wrt firmware installed, but the stock firmware should work ok as well.

5. T-Stex macrumors 6502

If your friend is going to use his iPod Touch and Wii with the router, you won't be able to take advantage of 802.11n's higher throughput. There are some benefits for coverage, but you're losing the biggest benefit of an 802.11n router by using 802.11g devices.

6. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Go for a cheap G router, there's no point paying a premium for N, when there isn't anything he uses that'll take advantage of it...

7. MidgetMariachi macrumors newbie

I agree.
    Unless your friend has got a specific need for the 802.11n, there is no need to get that. Tell your friend to save some money and get just what he needs and spend the difference buying you something nice for looking out for him! :D

Midget Mariachi [​IMG]

8. paduck macrumors 6502

9. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I disagree with a few of the others. In the future, at some point in time, will wish it was an N router. The speeds are much better. And they are backwards compatible. So, not like it will not work if iPod only has G. Apple's own routers, the AirPort Extreme, AirPort Express, and Time Capsule all use the N draft compliant wireless with much faster speeds. If Apple is doing it, I think you should buy it too.

10. Battlefield Fan thread starter macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

Thank you all for your reply's. You were all certainly correct with his products not being able to take advantage of the N signal. With using the G router that one of you mentioned he should save around ~$20.

Thanks once again!:apple:

11. myinvestors11 macrumors newbie

Re: Is this a good wireless router?

This wireless router is not so good when it compares with the latest technology with 802.11b/g and above. Then Go for a cheap G router, there's no point paying a premium for N.. or better you can wait for some more days, within that price will reduces.