Is this a graphic card issue? (video)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by appleguy123, Jul 24, 2010.

1. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Whenever I move over a Flash video with my mouse the screen flashes checker patterns and it flashes black. Can you watch the video and tell me what you think? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib0-W_AY3nw
    Also, sometimes my screen will randomly flash black bars and the mouse will move, but not affect anything.

Edit 8/9:Okay, I was on the phone with the AppleCare reps for around 3 hours, and they told me to take it to the Genius' Bar to get the logic-board replaced. Do I need to back up my data before I go? Any thing else that I should do?

2. mattkidd macrumors regular

mattkidd

Its quite clear if your experiencing that there's quite a problem... Which Model do you have and the specs?.... its likely to be graphics releated its also recommended you remove flash and reinstall flash. ;)

3. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

It's the stock 2.8 ghz c2d. I also have Laci Green's blogTV in the background.

4. Lokrado macrumors regular

flash is generally ****, may i recommend click to flash

http://clicktoflash.com/

Edit: haha I like the censoring -.-

5. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

Okay, I have had a worse issue. There was no Flash running and 3/4 of my screen went totally black, and the rest of it had the black bars. My computer wouldn't even sleep. I had to shut it down.

6. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Reinstall flash

And tell Ben he is cheap, common, $2?

7. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

If you're talking about the live show, then at the beginning people were donating like 3¢. Haha

8. vbman213 macrumors 6502

Run Tech Tools Pro 5 (comes with Apple Care)

Run AHT (Apple Hardware Test)
    Put your applications disk into your MBP and boot while holding the "D" key.

It could very well be a software glitch. From looking at your video, I can determine a few things...

1) The video card is working. It is rendering and drawing the "rest" of the screen (besides the Flash content)
    2) The artifacts are not "global". Meaning, it is only affecting the flash content.

I've never heard of a graphics card suddenly failing to render flash content. It doesn't know what "flash" content is. It just draws what the system tells it to draw.

9. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

The TechTool said that everything passed. Also, my computer restarts when I visit some websites.

10. vbman213 macrumors 6502

Some websites "with flash content" probably. It stills seems like it is a glitch in your flash plugin.

Use something like AppZapper to uninstall Flash from your system.

or use this to uninstall flash: http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/uninstall_flash_player_osx.dmg

Run Onyx to repair permissions. Verify SMART, etc.

11. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

Okay, I was on the phone with the AppleCare reps for around 3 hours, and they told me to take it to the Genius' Bar to get the logic-board replaced. Do I need to back up my data before I go? Any thing else that I should do?

12. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

The genius said that this is an issue with the ram. Does this make any sense to anyone?

13. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

ram sticks can go bad. Is it aftermarket? You should be able to test it with the extended AHT that comes on your original install disk. If you have multiple modules, take one out and test the other by itself. If the symptoms go away, RMA the other stick. Most decent mfrs should have lifetime warranties.

14. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

No it's what Apple gave me. And the genius took my laptop away so I can't run any tests.

15. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

Also if Apple swaps the ram and my computer is still broken, do they then give ke a new one or will they try something else?