Price Advice Is this a great deal?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Zoncky, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Zoncky macrumors newbie

I've been in the market for a rMBP and whilst in my local John Lewis a discounted model caught my eye. It was a 2014 rMBP 256GB for £750. Thinking this was too good to be true (I was right) I got speaking to the sales assistant and discovered that the reason was returned by customer as they were coming from Windows and couldn't get on with OSX and they had the incorrect machine in the incorrect box. What was in the box after much confusion over the box and serial number was a '15 rMBP 128GB. My theory is they bought one of each and returned the smaller model in the box for the 256 to get the most refund.

So I now have the option of this MacBook for £675 ($1035 for my American minded friends) and I'm sure I could possibly talk him down a bit more due to the wrong box issue. Should I be biting his hand off or would you advise caution over the whole discrepancies?

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

15" for that price is amazing - pull the trigger!

3. Zoncky thread starter macrumors newbie

Just to clarify its a '15 rMBP 13.3" 128GB.

4. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

It's not a bad deal at all, actually I'd say really great - for £675 it's a seriously capable machine (going on the assumption it's the 2015 model). Especially when considering it's ~£1000 RRP.

5. Zoncky thread starter macrumors newbie

I talked the guy down to £610 and confirmed with the Apple Store the serial number and it is the current model. Picked it up for nearly 40% off. My lucky day.

6. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Amazing! Just be sure to buy AppleCare on it when you have the opportunity (as long as you buy/apply it when it's still in warranty, you'll be fine), so you don't have to do it immediately - depending on the warranty runs out, of course.

What a deal, I'm pretty jelly.