Is this a Hard Drive or Motherboard Issue?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by beatsbyboris, Jul 12, 2012.

1. beatsbyboris macrumors newbie

I'm gonna be blunt and say I am a total idiot. I tried messing with Windows and Linux on my 27in-iMac and screwed it all up. I get the flashing question mark folder when starting up normally. My boot menu (Alt) comes up as a blank white screen (shows cursor but no drives appear). C key gives me the same folder with no boot from CD-ROM. I can't access EFI by the CMD+ALT+O+F keys. And lastly, I don't have any means of ejecting the MacOSX install disk that got stuck in there, even by holding down mouse.

Is this all related to the harddrive, meaning a new one will fix the problem, or did something happen to the motherboard and the whole computer is screwed? If it really is the motherboard, I'd rather just invest in a new Windows desktop than deal with Mac's rather limited hardware compatibility and replacement capabilities. After all, I hear building a new Windows Tower gives you a more powerful and durable computer than corporate brands for half the price. My only true investment is time, and I'm on Summer Break, so I have a lot of that :)

Please help me out here. If you don't know the answer, at least explain how to force eject my install disk. This is all quite important to me, as you can probably imagine.

2. flatfoot macrumors 65816

What exact iMac model do you have?

Intel iMacs have EFI. That's nothing to do with open firmware, so that command can't work on an Intel Mac.

You can't really break hardware by messing with software.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Sounds like you have just messed up your installation....Try re-installing Lion, buy using the internet recovery method, then go from there:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718