Is this a iPhone iPod feature? If so I don't like it!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by STC, Sep 20, 2008.

1. STC macrumors 6502a

Ok, I've been listening to podcasts for yrs on my iPod and now I listen on my iPhone from 1.1.4, 2.02, and now 2.1. I noticed something today w/ 2.1, that never happened w/ 1.1.4 or 2.0.2 or any of my many iPods.

Last night I loaded up 4 podcasts (same radio show, different days). It shows up in the Podcast section listed as 9/19, 9/18, 9/17, 9/16. I like to listen in chronological order, so I listen to 9/16 first (which was last on the list), then 9/17, and so on. I'll try to explain as simply as I can, pls bear w/ me.

Today I finished show 9/16 and the it stopped (which is normal), then I manually starting playing 9/17. When 9/17 finished, 9/16 automatically started playing. **This is weird because I only know of podcasts or songs switching automatically when you start w/ the 1st one (top) on the list** I tested it out and yes the next podcast automaticlly starts playing if theres more on the list regardless of if its been already played or not.

Anyone else experience this w/ 2.1? With 1.1.4, 2.0.2, and my Nano and iPod 1st gen, if you dont start at the top of the list, the next song or podcast will not automatically start, but w/ 2.1 it does.

2. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

My iPod 5G and my iPhone 3G have always gone on to the next item in the list regardless of where I started.

3. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

With 2.1, my podcasts and songs, instead of repeating the playlist when all items have been played, are started over from wherever I originally started listening. So if I have 10 podcasts, and start listen 1 minute in from the second podcast, after finishing podcast #10, it restarts the list at 1 minute into the second podcast. I'm pretty sure that prior to 2.1, my lists would restart from the first item if I had set it to repeat all, regardless of when I started listening. "Repeat one" would restart the item from the beginning, not from where I happened to have started listening as it does with 2.1.

4. ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

yes I've noticed this new feature in 2.1, it's a good feature but for me it's implemented the wrong way around. I prefer to listen by newest first. Doesn't really matter as I've been using the brilliant podcaster app

5. MoncoZero macrumors member

I too want to listen to podcasts chronologically.

I subscribe to the Adam Carolla podcast. His radio show is broken up into sections lasting 7 to 20 minutes.

When I load the show onto my iphone the end of the show is at the top and the beginning is at the bottom.

I wouldn't mind as much if the iphone would just stop playing after it finished a section, but it insists on moving down the list in reverse chronological order and will play a section that I have already heard earlier in the show.

Is there a way to make the iphone play podcasts in chronological order? I could not find a podcast app when i searched the store for "podcast."

Any ideas?

6. jeffwright macrumors newbie

I noticed this too. If you turn press on the podcast so you have the slider which lets you control repeat, time left, and random. Turning off Random will have it stop from jumping to another podcast after it gets done. You will have to choose the next podcast but at least it won't make you rewatch/listen to a podcast.

7. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Slightly off-topic:

But something else I've noticed (and don't really love) is that sometimes the podcasts seem to "rewind" a few minutes when I pick them up again. That is to say, I'll stop at 1:20 (an hour and twenty minutes), and when I go to finish listening to it, it'll start at 1:15 -- I find this kind of annoying. Like, one minute would be fine, I guess, but 5+ is just too much.

8. MoncoZero macrumors member

Thanks for trying to help, but this is not the problem.

I double checked and random is not turned on. The iphone is not playing a random podcast, but the next one on the list. A list that is ordered in reverse chronological order.

I appreciate the response though. Thanks

9. STC thread starter macrumors 6502a

I listen to the Tom Leykis podcast. Same deal, I download anywhere from 2-6 1hr shows when I dl.

10. mrcharlie91 macrumors member

?

noone cares. who listen to podcasts anyway..haha

11. ellsworth macrumors 6502a

ha ha... so wrong to say!

12. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Judging from the amount of responses, it seems people actually do care. Dip**** noob.

I don't think this is new with 2.1. I've always had this problem with the radio podcasts and my iPod photo that I've had for years. I was hoping it would have changed when I bought my iPhone (originally with 1.1.3) but no dice.

13. yazzy macrumors newbie

hey i just lost my iphone, or it was stolen, its really bad because it has all my important details on it, im not from this country and cant contact family, im studying and it has very important details/info that will seriously affect my ability to continue some of my training as they are past trainers who contact the university via me and submit test results so i need 2 acess my info asap, is it possible to do this via the internet with the codes my phone has 2 acess the internet....it is so important i retreive the information, im in alot of trouble if i cant i probably will buy a new iphone but at the moment my priority is 2 retreive that data, how can i do this???? i know this isnt related to this 'thread' but i dont know who 2 contact or ask or whatever im just extreemly desparate and kneed an answer !?!?!?!

14. alFR macrumors 68020

Short answer: you are screwed.

Long answer: there is no way of remotely accessing data on your phone in the way you describe, although if you were set up to use an Exchange account it may be possible to remotely wipe the data (if you don't know what I'm talking about there, you don't have an Exchange account). You are, unfortunately, screwed. Another lesson learned about the importance of having a backup of important data (hopefully).

15. borg1of2 macrumors member

So, I too had seen this change when I went to 2.1. However with 2.2 just released it appears it has changed. You have to use iTunes. In your iTunes display window sort your podcasts in the order you want to hear them, oldest at top. You can use the column sorting click to get it to sort. After that synch your phone and then check your podcast lists. You'll notice now that they are in oldest at the top order, so then when it plays it will finish and roll to the next oldest.

I use Windows iTunes to do this and did try it on version 2.1 and it didn't have an affect, so it does look like 2.2 cleared that up.

Also, you can now delete podcasts on the phone in 2.2, where before you had to use iTunes to delete.

Hope this works for you.

Scott

16. MoncoZero macrumors member

The update fixed the problem for me as well. Now all the Adam Carolla Morning Show sections of podcast play chronologically! :D

17. ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

Now if gotten used to newest first! I dont like this change in 2.2. Is there a way to change it back to newest first? :(

18. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Edit: turns out I have nothing to add, after I added this.

19. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I just tried making a playlist in iTunes containing some podcasts, and I can sort this playlist newest first or oldest first, whichever way I want. I would think if I synced this playlist to my iPhone, it would play the podcasts in the order I have sorted them. ... and it does. :D

20. STC thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sweet, I'll try this when I update my podcasts. Thx!

21. STC thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just synced over 8 podcasts. I couldnt figure out a way to sort/move the podcasts in the order I want (how did you do that??)

The thing is when I sync'd it automaticly put the oldest on top on the phone. :D

22. borg1of2 macrumors member

If I read you correctly, the oldest on top means that when you play the oldest first and it finishes then it will automatically move to the next oldest and so on. Isn't that what you wanted? If not, I'll try to explain again what I did.

In iTunes you need to use the sorting function so that the order of the podcasts, oldest or newest at the top, is the way you want to see it on your phone. So, for me I want the oldest on top and the newest on the bottom. Then when you synch, after arranging them in iTunes, they'll be in the order you saw them in iTunes on your phone.

You also must be on 2.2.

23. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

Just add the feature

2.1 had oldest to newest, 2.2 has them the opposite. Can Apple just put an option that allows you to pick? Why should we have to organize it manually? Everything else with the iPhone is handled automatically.