Is this a joke or an issue? :/

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by WhiteIphone5, Apr 18, 2013.

1. WhiteIphone5 macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

Yesterday I got an email that he needed my phone number because Apple needed it to place the order. Today I get this email

Attached Files:

2. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

May be off topic, but is your name spelled like that correctly? I've never seen it before, and I saw a lot of them. ;)

Did you place an order? Not sure what they want with your phone number, though.

3. WhiteIphone5 thread starter macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

Yup thats how its spelled on my Birth certificate :)
    I did not it was a contest that I won and Im supposed to be receiving an ipad but maybe I'm just being played with.
    This is their Site

http://www.appletvhacks.net/2013/04/11/apple-tv-of-your-dreams-contest-winners-announced/

4. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

I have zero experience with this kind of stuff, so I won't be of much help. But assuming the, rather informal, mail was written by some real person I guess you could just reply stating your concern(s)? If not fishy, he'll probably find another way to solve the problem without your number or could specify why they need it anyway. Maybe doublecheck with Apple directly?

eh, and congrats to your ipad....may you ever receive it! :)

5. WhiteIphone5 thread starter macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

I feel like its a joke. If apple online store was really having issues, it would be all over the Internet

6. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

Oops, sorry, misread your op, so you gave them your number already.

I dunno, don't think it necessarily must be a joke, though. But I wouldn't get my expectations too high, so it'll be a pleasant surprise if it turns out good in the end. Fingers crossed.

7. snberk103 macrumors 603

I typed the content of Tomek's email into Google, and there were no exact hits (or even close) so it's not a wide-spread scam.

I suspect the 'issue' is with their end, not Apple's end. If you haven't given them any bank account info or credit card info then I don't see the harm in giving them your telephone #. If you address and telephone # are listed in a public directory, then there is only a small risk in giving them your name, address and telephone #. If you have given them anything beyond your name, address, and telephone # then I would be worried. Potentially very worried.

8. WhiteIphone5 thread starter macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

Naw. If its a prize I won, there is absolutely no reason to give my card info. Only my address for shipping. Thats pretty much it. I had high hopes but im not even gonna pay too much attention to it anymore

9. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

Who was the email sent from? And what domain (Gmail, AOL, etc)?
    Don't give out the email, but does it look suspicious or seems legitimate? There are headers in the email to check the IP address it was originally sent from. Don't let a free iPad Mini go to waste.

10. WhiteIphone5 thread starter macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

Seems legitimate, only the whole apple store issue (invoice) had me worried. Domain is @dreamattic.com. which is their website.

11. snberk103 macrumors 603

I'm glad you know that.... too many people don't. If it's small outfit, it's possible that they used a company card but then asked the Apple Store to send it to your address... which of course is not the address on the card used... so an 'issue' with the Apple Online Store. Don't give up home yet...

12. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

And they're having an issue processing the order. Maybe they just want to confirm what's going on with you?

13. WhiteIphone5 thread starter macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

i dont think there's anything wrong on my end. My address, phone number and email are all correct.

14. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

seems legit...sounds like they just want to add your number to the order that they are placing on the Apple online store. I suppose it is necessary when the billing address and the shipping address are different.

This is just a guess...

15. WhiteIphone5 thread starter macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

they asked me for my # yesterday, and i gave it to them yesterday. Now this...

16. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Maybe I'm being a bit nerdy and rather pedantic about this, but I have worked as an editor and I am always suspicious of any email - which purports to be formal - where the English is casual and sloppy.

To my mind, a business (personal communications are an entirely different matter) has no right to make careless mistakes (grammar, spelling, syntax) when sending an email; it tells me that they are nor careful about facts, accuracy, or precision of expression, nor is much heed paid to getting details right.

Thus, I have to assume there is little attention paid to customer service, either. That is the benign interpretation.

The less benign interpretation is that this is an attempt at fraud, and attempting to acquire your contact details for less than desirable activities.

Did you actually enter this competition, (or did someone enter on your behalf) or, has 'winning' this rather desirable prize come as a complete surprise to you?

17. WhiteIphone5 thread starter macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

I entered the contest lasr month. Winner were announced last week. Please look at the link I posted earlier today

http://www.appletvhacks.net/2013/04/11/apple-tv-of-your-dreams-contest-winners-announced/

18. WhiteIphone5 thread starter macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

19. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Incredibly unprofessional but possibly legit given the circumstances...

20. WhiteIphone5 thread starter macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

i will post back and submit a screen shot of the UPS/Fedex tracking so see if it matched to those who have an iPad mini. like the weight and all. Thanks everyone!

21. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I think I know what could have been the issue.

Tomek is not in the US, he works with a group called Dreamattic, S.A. that is based in Switzerland. So of course that came up as a red flag over at Apple. So they needed a number to confirm that it matched your location.

Lots of scammers will use a different e-mail, a different address, a different phone number, a different number, and stolen credit card. This happened to me once, someone signed up for a Netflix like service with my e-mail address, and with various information.

Being that they are a group of people, someone probably writes the content, and not Tomek himself. Either that, or he's just lazy like other people that I write e-mails to.

22. WhiteIphone5 thread starter macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

well his email does link to the website that was hosting the contest, so im gonna say its legit on this one. I'll keep updating.

23. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

Just because the domain links to his website doesn't mean he's legit.

24. WhiteIphone5 thread starter macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

I see. Thanks!

25. WhiteIphone5 thread starter macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5