Is this a knock off bumper? (PICS INSIDE)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by kim2272, Oct 12, 2010.

1. kim2272 macrumors regular

kim2272

I believe I received a knock off eBay Bumper.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160488112624&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

The differences are very little but still noticeable. I paid $11 for it. It is blue and comes with packaging. The packaging has small differences when compared to my pink and black bumper that I got from apple.

The blue one seems to be tighter and a different texture compared to my other two bumpers. The buttons are not shiny like some other eBay bumpers but they are still not identical to the original bumpers I have. It seems to be a little bit bigger too. It covers more of the phone and even lifts up my back shield at times, while my other ones do not. It is definitely tougher to take off. I know that it is fake but it looks so real. I just wanted to share this to warn people to be careful on eBay.

I contacted the seller asking him where he got it. He says that he received it from a friend that bought it from an apple store. I told him that he should not charge so much for shipping. It cost a total of $1.38 on the postage stamp and he charged me $10. I am going to keep the case because I am happy with the overall product. I am just a little upset that it's a knock off.

Here are some pics...

Sorry if the pics are too big, I am new at this :(

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MotleyGrrl macrumors 6502

MotleyGrrl

ANY bumper on ebay that is less than $30 is a knock off. Apple JUST started selling them again. I doubt you'll ever find a real one on ebay for $10.

3. kim2272 thread starter macrumors regular

kim2272

If I were to buy one on eBay for $30, I might as well go buy it at the Apple Store. It makes no sense to buy one on eBay for more than $25 IMO.

4. james92se macrumors 6502a

Hell, that's the best looking knockoff I've seen yet.

I'm not sure you should be "warning" people, but rather letting everybody know where they get a nice bumper. I know tons of us on here have all been looking for the best fake bumpers.

So you got it for $11 total? Sounds like a great deal to me. I've got a few knockoff Apple bumpers coming so I'll be curious how they stack up to my two genuine Apple bumpers.

BTW - if Apple bumpers cost $30, why would anybody think that for any reason believe that genuine bumpers would be sold for less than $30?

Any bumper that costs less than $30 is virtually guaranteed to be a knockoff..

5. kim2272 thread starter macrumors regular

kim2272

That's true, but I really don't understand why anyone would buy something for the exact same price on eBay when they can just buy it in the store... But yea, it is a great knock off bumper and I am glad I got it at that price! I have no intentions on returning it. I am just trying to "warn" people in case they think they're getting a good price on an Authentic Bumper. :p

6. farmermac macrumors 6502a

I wouldnt be quick to call it fake based on those pictures. maybe get some better pictures. My wife got a orange bumper from Apple when they first came out and I got a black one, and the texture and fit is different. They may be "fake" but they're probably made on identical machines

7. james92se macrumors 6502a

Yep, and likely with identical materials

8. kim2272 thread starter macrumors regular

kim2272

I'm sorry about the pics. I don't have another camera. But the buttons are definitely different. I wish I could show it in better pics but I'm only limited to my iphone's camera.

9. chanerz macrumors 6502a

10. james92se macrumors 6502a

I can tell the buttons are different. The recessed + and - on the volume buttons are opened up a little bit more than on the genuine bumper. And the sleep/wake button isn't raised as much.

But these are very minute, and again, for that price who cares :D

The Chinese sure are good at knock offs. No wonder it's a source of national pride for them

11. malevolant macrumors 6502

I personally think it is a crime that apple sells them for so much when they can be produced so cheap. Glad a Knockoff company is lowering prices <again>.

12. kim2272 thread starter macrumors regular

kim2272

Yes, I agree the prices for authentic bumpers at the store are outrageous. I could have got this for a lot cheaper but the seller charged so much for shipping even though he lives in New Jersey. Whatever, I'm still happy! :)

13. Ann P macrumors 68020

Knockoff or not, they actually look quite nice. I sold my free black bumper and got a white one at the Apple store the other day. I'm actually on eBay looking for some cheap bumpers. Any lifts on your screen protector? (Assuming you have one on) Thank you.

Here are some pictures of my white one for comparison purposes.

Attached Files:

14. kim2272 thread starter macrumors regular

kim2272

I really wanted to buy a white one from the store but I am disappointed on how dirty they can get. Thank you for the pictures. I had my original black and pink bumpers to compare to as well. And as for your question, at times it lifted up my back protector but then I just laid it on a little better and its not lifting up now. My screen protector was never affected.

15. james92se macrumors 6502a

I've had an authentic white bumper from day one, and that sucker is very dirty and won't come clean anymore. The gray part of it looks permanently "darkened" no matter how much I clean it. I haven't even had it on the phone for 3-4 weeks total duration (I change cases/bumpers/wraps quite a bit)

Hence my looking for knockoff eBay bumpers. Personally, I wouldn't spend the money on an OEM white bumper due to the inability to keep clean. Just get 3 knockoffs and stick a new one on every few months

16. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

a) those pictures suck
    b) who cares what the person charges for shipping, its clearly posted ( you don't have to bid
    c) looks like a knockoff
    d) People often buy things on ebay for retail if the item is difficult to find at stores