Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
About 25 tracking bots come up and Apple don't sell advertising, so I would say it is not Apple.

EDIT: The bots are through MacRumors since I was just using preview. The site does look clean of any tracking bots. Keychain and 1Password both identify it as an Apple site.

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
is this a legit apple site?
https://mapsconnect.apple.com/
its asking for apple id to login but not sure if its really apple

Yes, it's Apple.

To identify the site start at the domain type (in this case, ".com") and work backwards... each "." identifies a subdomain within the actual domain site... so in this case, it's a subdomain called "mapsconnect" within the "apple.com" domain.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
About 25 tracking bots come up and Apple don't sell advertising, so I would say it is not Apple.

EDIT: The bots are through MacRumors since I was just using preview. The site does look clean of any tracking bots. Keychain and 1Password both identify it as an Apple site.
Did you take a look at the article I provided describing the service? It's not about Apple selling advertising but Apple providing a means of small businesses to be listed on Maps. At least that's the way it looks to me and dwfaust also confirms that it is an Apple subdomain.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Yes, I did but it looks like you failed to read my post EDIT which you even quoted.:D
You're right. I read the part about it being clean of tracking bots but missed the part about it being identified as an Apple site. My apologies, sir!

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009

You can identify the real owner of an https website by clicking on the padlock icon in the browser's address bar.

Reactions: jetsam

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
check the certificate.... Its an Apple cert. Organization : Symantec Trust Network.

I may be old school, (new school or whatever), but I'd rather "trust" myself more looking at the cert. than having a "privacy focused" app do it for me with ease.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.