Is this a logic board problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MinorDisaster, Aug 22, 2009.

1. MinorDisaster macrumors newbie

I've been using my MBP for ~1yr. I have an early 2008 model. 2.5Ghz, 2GB RAM and 250GB HD with 8600GT 512MB.

Out of nowhere my laptop just wouldn't turn on. I hit the power button, then the usual buzzing of the drive comes and the sleep light turns on for like 2secs and then it just turns off again. It basically does the first 3sec of bootup and shuts back down. If I hold the power button down, after a while the sleep light flashes real fast for like 3secs and then it just turns off. I've searched and searched....and nobody else has the exact same problem. Anybody know what it means?

I've reset the PRAM or whatever and everything but it didn't work....and so I took it to one of the only genius bars here in Shanghai, China.

The guy took out the ram and reseated it, but it was no use. So then I asked him what else could be the problem...and he mentioned something about 2 boards. 1 being under the left speaker and a 2nd larger one below the whole laptop. I'm assuming the 2nd one is the Logic Board because he said if THAT was the thing that was broken, it would easier to just throw away the laptop because the repair would cost 7000RMB(~1000USD). But he said if the 1st one, under the left speaker was broken, it would be easier to fix and would cost much less. Anyone know what he's talking about?

I left the laptop there for them to scope it out, so I'm just asking you guys what you think.

I can just buy a newer one, but what I'm worried about is my hard drive. It has some important stuff in it. So another question I'm asking is whether or not this could be a hard drive failure, rather than a logic board one. And if IT IS a logic board failure, would it possibly affect the hard drive. And whether or not they format the hard drive at the genius bar as part of the testing process :(

Another thing to add is that it happened 1week after warranty expired. :mad:

2. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

sounds like a bad gpu or power inverter.

the gpu is covered under the nvidia gpu extension. for 3 years from date of purchase.

call apple and explain the situation and give them the KB article number and hope for the best.

3. MinorDisaster thread starter macrumors newbie

I read about the 2008s having faulty 8600s and said that...but he said that wasn't the problem as there was no chime at the beginning of the startup...the laptop does not turn on at all except for the initial drive buzz and the sleep light. Then it just turns off 2sec later.

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Yeah, doesn't sound like a GPU problem. Generally the computer will still operate but with distorted video or no video at all. If you're not getting a chime on startup, it might be the logic board or some sort of power problem. It could still be the GPU but not likely. Good luck with the repair.

5. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Yeah I know I'm reviving a long dead thread, but I have something worth adding and I have a new question.

The same exact thing happened to my MacBook Pro two days ago. Right after recording a podcast for iTunes...

I'm wondering if the OP, if he is still around, noticed anything different with the Hard Drive.

Also, when Apple replaces the logic board, do they replace everything? Meaning does the CPU, GPU, Sound Card, ect get replaced.? I'm under the impression that they are all integrated into the card.

For the record, Apple did replace mine under the Nvidia warranty. I don't think they wanted to, but they couldn't rule it out since the computer wouldn't boot.