is this a Mac Pro video card problem?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by hoefler, Oct 10, 2010.

  1. hoefler macrumors member

    Oct 10, 2010
    Hi everyone,

    Last monday i got my first mac ever. a 6 core 3,33GHz with 6GB memory and the ATI radion HD 5770. Untill this morning i experienced no problems with the computer but when i started it up this morning there was the following on my screen:

    Out of range signal cannot display this video mode change computer display input to 1920x1200 @ 60GHz

    never had this message before, i turned the monitor off/on and all i got was white noise immediately followed with the same "out of range signal..." tried this about 4 times and at one point it was going back and forth into white noise mode and the allert.

    i unplugged the cable of the monitor in the mac pro, plugged it back in and it was working.

    my display is without a doubt set to 1920x1200 its a Dell 24" ultrasharp so i don't get why i got this message, i have this screen for almost 4 years and "never" experienced this problem until now.

    Is this the same graphic card problem other people are experiencing or is this of a different kind? has annyone here experienced this also and if you fixed it, how?

    and is this a graphic card problem or is it probably another hardware problem (memory, motherboard...?)

    i hope someone could give me some info since it has me quite concerned.

    thanks in advance
  2. b.lam macrumors newbie

    Sep 5, 2010

    sounds like the same issue that some other people (including me) are having with the new Mac Pros and the 5xxx series of ATI cards.
    Let me guess: you used the Display Port? I had problems with it as well and switched back to DVI. No more problems since then, but this is only a solution if you use only one display.


    edit: take a look at the link hoosker supplied regarding NEC displays in this thread. There are obviously many "bad" MiniDisplayPort cables out there.
  3. hoefler thread starter macrumors member

    Oct 10, 2010
    hi, thnx for the reply...i did "not" use the display port but used the DVI port.

    Does this mean that i'm having a faulty graphics card? since others are experiencing it only via the display port? either way this is not acceptable for me and i will be contacting Apple tomorrow:mad:
  4. reel2reel macrumors 6502a


    Jul 24, 2009
    It's not limited to MiniDisplay Port. I'm having problems with the 5870 and dual-link DVI. My MDP actually seems to work properly.
  5. xgman macrumors 601


    Aug 6, 2007
    My 2010 6 core with 5870 dvi to dell 30" snowed up after wake from sleep yesterday and I had to turn the monitor off and back on to correct it. Might have been the monitor or the 5870 I guess. hasn't happened again yet.
  6. reel2reel macrumors 6502a


    Jul 24, 2009
    I'm using a Dell 30" also, but I don't get snow from sleep. Just intermittent bursts seemingly unrelated to anything I'm doing.
  7. hoefler thread starter macrumors member

    Oct 10, 2010
    I'm new to mac so could anyone tell me what the procedure is for these kind of i have the right to get a new machine because it definetly seems like some faulty hardware...sure it could be a firmware related but what if it isn't and the graphic card dies in like 2 months from now, sure there is warranty but that means sending in a brand new 2 month old computer that i payed lots of money for in for repair...i mean its just not wright/correct. Especially if the problem became obvious withing the first week.

    Do i demand a replacement or do i just wait and hope its firmware related and wait it out until Apple decides to address the problem?

    Like i said i don't know how Apple deals with this but isn't it a bit weird since there are obviously tons of people experiencing the same thing (also checked other forums and blogs) that Apple is not even communicating about it to its customers, can help but feel really disappointed here, especially since everyone says Apple has such quality products.

    What are you guys who are experiencing the problem going to do, did you ask for a replacement, new graphic card...or are you just waiting it out and see what happens, really curious.

    Annyway i call Apple tomorrow and let everyone know what they said.
  8. reel2reel macrumors 6502a


    Jul 24, 2009
    I'm waiting it out.

    As for the "quality products" thing, electronics are electronics. Look at the iPhone 4 debacle. If you expect perfection, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment, I don't care how much money you're paying. Even still, I've used some expensive PC's that are just pure junk. Bad connectors, noisy fans, unable to mount external hard drives, etc, etc. I've never had these problems with Apple computers. Do I expect perfection, though, no. Don't even get me started on the time my girlfriend decided to save some money and buy a Sansa piece of crap MP3 player. She had two fail in two months. And the thing had the most horrible UI I've ever set eyes on. Needless to say, she's got an iPod now.

    Anyways, I called Apple and started a case file. The rep recommended booting from the system disc to see if the problem still happens. I haven't had a chance to try it out. I've got AppleCare so I'm not too worried.

    Also, some have reported not having problems when booted into Windows via BootCamp. Are you able to try this?

    EDIT: I am hoping we get a fix soon, though. The more people that call Apple, the better.
  9. hoefler thread starter macrumors member

    Oct 10, 2010
    Its not really a mater of expecting perfection, its more like "there's allot of people out there with the same problem" meaning its a big-scale problem - why not communicate about it instead of leaving people in the unknown. I mean Apple is supposed to be a top of the line quality product wright?
  10. Asylum Design macrumors newbie

    Jun 9, 2010
    what's the problem with waiting to see? If it isn't impacting your daily work... you'll have to send it back to get a replacement either way... so does it really matter if you send it back NOW to get a replacement that may or may not work any better, or in 3 months if it dies?

    Either way, it's going back to Apple.... if that's the road you choose to pursue.

    Personally, I'd hang out for a while and see if Apple can fix it with a firmware issue. IF NOT, I'd rather have a new machine / video card replacement a MONTH before my warranty runs out than now... think about it... they'll probably be on a different rev of either / both motherboard, cpu, video card, ram, et al 11 months from now ... usually due to corrections / fixes that you wouldn't be getting if you exchanged it right this second.

    If, however, it is impeding your work flow, then of course get it replaced.

    Otherwise... have a coke and a smile, relax, and don't let the small stuff get to ya.
  11. reel2reel macrumors 6502a


    Jul 24, 2009
    Apple is notorious for not saying anything. Just search yellow tint imac's on here and you'll be in for a rude awakening. The more people that call Apple, the better, though. That way, they'll at least have info about system setups, hardware configurations, etc, etc. Also, the more people that report in one place, the better. We've got about 10 threads on this topic at MR, but there hasn't really been any new info anyway.

    I'm currently booted into the Snow Leopard system from my previous Mac. This system was installed from the SL box. I haven't gotten one burst of static yet. I'm going to keep using it to be sure.

Share This Page