Is this a Network Problem or phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by michael31986, Sep 4, 2008.

1. michael31986 macrumors 68030

ill have 3 bars of 3g, but sometimes it keeps saying call retry then eventually it works.

other times people say they called me and they get a message saying " the number u reached can't be completed or some BS of automated.

finally 2 times now i have called someone in the span of 2 months this happened. it rings, but its a weird scratchy fuzzy ringing, so i hang up and call again and the ringing is a normal ring.

anyone know what could cause this?

is the 3g just not good enough even though with 2 bars or 3 it still said call retry.

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I heard that if you pick up a seashell and listen, you can hear the answers you seek.

Or, just read the past 60 days worth of posts around here.

Whichever is easier.

3. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

I have experienced similar issues. I originally got a phone that had a couple of things wrong with it and had it swapped out at the Apple store. Both, that phone and the new one, had these issues. I think it is a network issue that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with signal strength.

4. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Those bars lag, chances are you have moved from an area of signals to an area without.

5. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I had this in both my Original iPhone and my iPhone 3G. I think that is an AT&T issue...

6. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

thanks guys, the bars probably do lag. god all these bugs i hope bar lag which sounds like a made up word is fixed with new update.

but what would posse the fuzzy distorted ringing? back connection?

and why would my friends get a message sayind number cannot be reached instead of my voicemail?

7. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I think it is some issue at AT&T - maybe with the cell tower, or the circuit or something. If I stay on past the ringing, and the other person answers, they sound all distorted as well. Like you said maybe it is just a bad connection...

8. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

It's probably the network as it's happened on every phone I've had in the past several years on AT&T. I've even had it happen on my landline on occasion.

9. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

^ what has the message or the distorted ringin?

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

If you want your real signal (instead of bars) go into you keypad on the phone and type this:

*3001#12345#*

Call it and it will bring up a diagnostic mode that shows the actuall signal strength in numbers. The numbers are negative, so -90 is a better signal than -95.

Hit home to go back to using the normal bars.

11. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Wow, damn. Good tip.

I get -77.

12. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

Others have gotten that message when calling my cell, but it's been about 18 months since that happened last. When I call others, either from my cell or via landline, I'll occasionally get that "bad connection" sound during the ring and subsequent call. If I hear distortion or noise on the ring, I'll bail out and hit redial. That usually clears it up.

13. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

I get -55 to -66.

14. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

i got -97 but i dont have much 3g in my house, only like 2 bars.

i hang up and call again to when i have the static ringing

about the automatied message can i call att and they will fix it or ur saying it happened to u 18 months ago and it just went away by itself?

15. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

It went away on its own, or at least hasn't happened in a long while.