Is this a new feature I have 'discovered'

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iNash, Mar 9, 2009.

1. iNash macrumors 6502

iNash

Hi all,

Bit confused with this hopefully someone will know about this 'feature'

My set up first:

1 x iBook G4 Running 10.5.6
    1 x MacMini Running 10.5.6

(both on the same network and Keychain has stored the remote logins for both machines)

I went to open a file on my iBook and the Application that opens it is 100% NOT installed on the iBook but it is installed on the MacMini.

Anyway, the iBook opened this Application and ran the program.

The weirdest part is that the App was OPEN on the Mini and it's as though the iBook opened a clone version as they were running different files at the same time.

Is this a feature???

Cheers

2. pooky macrumors 6502

Do you have sharing turned on? Are you connected to the remote computer? Alternatively, have you connected to the mini in the past?

If so, it's possible that the sharing login to the mini is saved, and you're file sharing the application over your network.

The other explanation is that you're wrong, and the program is in fact installed on the iBook. :)

3. iNash thread starter macrumors 6502

iNash

Ha ha I like the second answer... :D

I am currently connected to the Mini, I am downloading so I can't turn off Airport to test this theory...

Pretty sick feature if that's what is happening... :cool:

4. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Let me ask you one question: what program is it?

5. iNash thread starter macrumors 6502

iNash

Azuerus/Vuze shhhhhh...

6. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

It doesn't sound like you've done anything special to me. It is possible to have multiple instances of the same binary open at once, you just can't do it easily with a standard Mac OS X application.

Try this, right-click on "Address Book" in your applications folder and choose "Show Package Contents". Now open the "Contents" folder and then the "MacOS" folder. You should see a binary called "Address Book". Open that and a Terminal window should pop up as well as Address Book.

Without quitting go back to Finder window where the binary is and open it again. Another Terminal window should pop up and so should another instance of Address Book. Unless an application constantly checks its preference files you can do different things in both.

Some applications protect themselves from this but most don't. It's not a bug, it's just the way the OS works. What you've done is one step further, you've opened two instances of a binary across a network. What you should have noticed is that the Vuze running on the other Mac was back to default settings. That's because both Macs are running Vuze but they're doing it independently from each other. Settings on one Mac only affect that Mac and vice versa.