Is this a new feature in Mail, or am I getting a miraculous bug?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jade Cambell, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Jade Cambell macrumors 6502

I use pair networks as my email server. I just set myself up in Mac OS X Mail, and one of the first things I noticed is that when I make any kind of change in the Mail program, it mirrors it in my inbox at pair.com.

This seemed magical, amazing, but not exactly logical. When I create a new mailbox in mac os x mail, how can in create it on the pair server automatically? When I delete emails in Mail, it deletes them off of pair.. I know that it didn't used to do this a few years ago when I saw my friends using the same system. They'd have to go onto the pair website once in a while and clean up the mess that would accumulate there because they'd only manage their email on their computer and not in the web browser.

Is this a brand new amazing feature, or is it just a bug that will get "fixed"?

Thanks.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Sounds like how it works with .Mac. This probably means you are using IMAP which is designed to work like this instead of POP3 which isn't.

3. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Sounds like your mail account is IMAP, not POP. IMAP is "miraculous" like that :)