Is this a new Macbook or refurbished?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by audi2111, Sep 8, 2014.

1. audi2111 macrumors newbie

I've just ordered a new macbook air online, and its got all the specs of the new 2014 model, but the operating system is mountain lion.

Apple Macbook Air MD760B Laptop (Intel Core i5, 13.3 Inch, 128 GB Flash, 4 GB, OS X Mountain Lion)

It's about $250 cheaper than the current price of the macbook air.

Any input would be much appreciated.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Where did you order it?

Its either a refurb or just an older model laying around in inventory that the retailer is looking to move.

3. audi2111 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm based in Dubai, so i used Souq.com

It looks like the seller buys many and sells them. So would you say it is most likely an older machine but they've updated the internal specs themselves and pretend it's the 2014 model? They couldn't remove the old operating system then, and put Mavericks on?

Isn't the 1.4Ghz specific to the 2014 model? I'm quite confused to be honest. The price of a macbook Air here is about $1050 with a teacher/education discount, and this is online for $800.

4. RianT macrumors member

RianT

This is the 2013 model. The 2013 and 2014 have the same specs. Only the processor is slightly different. The retailer couldn't have updated the internal components themselves even if they wanted to. The price reflects that. I think they were just trying to get people to buy it.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

MD760B with the 1.4Ghz CPU is the 2014 model. MD760A with the 1.3Ghz CPU is the 2013 model. There is no way the 2014 model comes with Mountain Lion on it. The 2014 model would have come from the factory with Mavericks.

Click the Apple at the top left of your screen then About this Mac... then More Info and you will get a sreen like this. Tell us what yours says.

[​IMG]

6. audi2111 thread starter macrumors newbie

Perfect. Thanks.

Question, will it actually say someone MD760B?

It's basically cash on delivery so hopefully it's got some battery inside so I can open it before I pay.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No it does not show that model number anywhere and that makes this less simple. If it has Mavericks and the CPU is 1.4 you can be comfortable it is the 2014.

8. audi2111 thread starter macrumors newbie

FYI, just received my new MBA.

It's an early 2014 model and has mavericks on.

9. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

So what you original question was based on the description on the sellers website saying that it comes with Mountain Lion or did you see it physically with mountain lion on it?

Confused...

10. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Sometimes reseller websites are not entirely accurate on all parameters when they list stock. Maybe the OS field was copy pasted by some intern using last year's parameters.