Is this a possibility....?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by anim8or, Jan 19, 2008.

1. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

If apple were to create a 13" Macbook Pro and take out the disc drive would this allow them to add a stand alone graphics card?

I ask because it would be great to have a portable that was actually capable of running decent graphics/video/animation software to a high standard.

So i ask all who may know.... is the concept possible or an out of this world proposal?!?

2. Queso macrumors G4

Yeah, that's definitely possible. The Optical drive takes up as much space as the logic board on a MacBook., so you'd effectively double the size/cooling space by taking it out.

However, I think Apple have placed the MacBook Air into the product matrix slot that a 13" MBP would occupy, so it's very unlikely they'll release another competing model now.

3. anim8or thread starter macrumors 65816

anim8or

Though i do understand what you say about the product matrix i dont know if i agree....

Surely a 13" MBP would sell just as well along side the MBA.... i really dont think many design profs will buy a MBA due to its integrated graphics.

4. Queso macrumors G4

Yeah, but what makes perfect sense to you or I doesn't often translate into Apple's strategy. The 12" PowerBook was by far the best compromise between portability and function that Apple have ever produced. I use my Rev. A just about every day, despite also having an Alu iMac. In a perfect world it never would have been dropped from the product matrix, let alone eventually replaced by a niche product with limited functionality like the Air.

However, Apple have to plan for where things are going, not where they are. You can see the future starting to form in the MBA. They need to sell it in order to get the feedback that allows them to perfect it before other companies get their versions to market. As such, they aren't going to want other Apple products to entice people away.