Is this a problem before I buy this machine

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mwi555, May 27, 2008.

1. mwi555 macrumors newbie

I am looking at an iMac on craigslist. I don't know the possible solution to the problem. Does this behavior sound like something to be concerned about?

This computer turns on to a white screen (with a gray apple icon and a rotating load circle) then turns to a light blue screen, then to black. I don't know much about working on computers, but since it turns on it seems fixable, or at least useful for parts.
    (Apple iMAC G4 Desktop, 17" LCD Monitor, 1.0 GHz Processors, NVIDIA GeForce4 MX, 256MB DDR333 SDRAM, 80 GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive, 32x Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW), 56K Modem, Built-in 10/100BASE-T Ethernet)

thanks

2. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

The first part of that sentence doesn't sound like it meshes so well with the second part :D

Unless you know in advance of a common issue with the model that you think you can fix or something, I'd stay away. By the way, how much are they asking for it? I don't think you'd be able to get parts from it that were worth anything significant either.

3. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Agreed ! If you don't know much about working on computers, then what exactly do you hope to accomplish if you buy that machine ??????

A semi-borked iMac is NOT the ideal machine with which to start your adventure into this realm :p

Not because it may or may not be able to be fixed per se, but mainly because if it is a hardware issue, the insides of an iMac is NOT a good place for a rookie fix-it person to be poking around in..........you could easily do more harm than good, in many ways :eek:

And even as a parts machine, most of the iMac components that could be resold seperately would require a fair amount of technical know-how to safely disassemble and remove from the computer.......

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

if its getting up to the spinning wheel and then stalling it coulb be a kext extension issue and you could just reinstall the OS to fix it. ask if the seller has has his stuff on the Mac (but dont hint on a reinstall as he may do it then fix it!)

but yes if you dont know much about Macs, OS X and computers in general you shouldnt buy it, you might get plagued with problems even if you do get it booting.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I was going to say a messed up OS install, but you will probably be better off with a Mac Mini which is way more powerful than that.

6. Domofloge macrumors regular

Domofloge

I'm going to have to agree with the others on this one.. There is no sense in purchasing an iMac with those types of issues. A mac mini is the PP suggested would we a better choice IMO.

7. mwi555 thread starter macrumors newbie

I appreciate the post. I am pretty good on macs, but not as knowledgeable about kernal panics and all the deeper parts of the system. I am looking for a cheap imac or something for my daughter that I can run leopard on for parental controls. I just copied and pasted the ad from craigslist. I suspect I'll stay away from it, I don't want to spend the 130 bucks they are asking for a dud.

thanks