Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kettlecorn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2011
So recently I bought a HD PVR to record some games and sports and video edit and starting yesterday I started using Final Cut Pro and it has crashed on me at least twice in the past hour or so.

Normally I have ichat open 24/7, Chrome with at least 10 tabs open and a lot of them are youtube videos at HD, sometimes I have itunes playing something. Those are ALWAYS ON. Then I might do things in Finder and install things or whatever.

And starting yesterday I added to that list of running program, Final Cut Pro X and it crashes the program once in a while. Not instantly but if I'm doing things it'll get reallll slow, the browser will have the beach ball thing going and it's really unproductive. Not to mention I have to sometimes open Adobe Photoshop on top of all those things to edit images.

I have a 13" Macbook Pro (2011) with the core I5 running at 2.3 ghz with 4gb or ram. Not sure if I should upgrade the laptop to a 15" or an Imac or if upgrading to 8gb of ram will fix this problem.

It doesn't seem like I'm utilizing the CPU at 100%, but "FREE" ram is usually like 9mb. Lot of inactive ram but free is next to nothing.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
That does sound like A RAM Issue

So recently I bought a HD PVR to record some games and sports and video edit and starting yesterday I started using Final Cut Pro and it has crashed on me at least twice in the past hour or so.

Normally I have ichat open 24/7, Chrome with at least 10 tabs open and a lot of them are youtube videos at HD, sometimes I have itunes playing something. Those are ALWAYS ON. Then I might do things in Finder and install things or whatever.

And starting yesterday I added to that list of running program, Final Cut Pro X and it crashes the program once in a while. Not instantly but if I'm doing things it'll get reallll slow, the browser will have the beach ball thing going and it's really unproductive. Not to mention I have to sometimes open Adobe Photoshop on top of all those things to edit images.

I have a 13" Macbook Pro (2011) with the core I5 running at 2.3 ghz with 4gb or ram. Not sure if I should upgrade the laptop to a 15" or an Imac or if upgrading to 8gb of ram will fix this problem.

It doesn't seem like I'm utilizing the CPU at 100%, but "FREE" ram is usually like 9mb. Lot of inactive ram but free is next to nothing.

FCP is pretty resource hungry...Best way to check it out is to try it without all the other apps running and see if you get the same problem. I have 8GB in my iMac at the moment and I also do a lot of video and photo work....I tend to have something playing in iTunes and have never had a crash yet, but I'm considering taking my memory up to 16GB

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Are you running Lion by any chance? If so a bunch of people, self included have this issue with Lion/Safari using tons of memory, listing it as inactive but NOT making it available to other programs when available memory runs low. Performance starts to degrade really bad and eventually you need a reboot to get things back again.

kettlecorn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2011
Are you running Lion by any chance? If so a bunch of people, self included have this issue with Lion/Safari using tons of memory, listing it as inactive but NOT making it available to other programs when available memory runs low. Performance starts to degrade really bad and eventually you need a reboot to get things back again.

Yep, running Lion. I didn't know that. Damn maybe I should go back to Snow Leopard. Or just buy more RAM haha

kettlecorn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2011
What does your page ins/page outs look like?

I just pulled up activity monitor and it says 29gb for page in and 4gb for page out.

I know page outs have to be way less than page in but not really sure if my #s are in the clear. Might just get more RAM.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I just pulled up activity monitor and it says 29gb for page in and 4gb for page out.

I know page outs have to be way less than page in but not really sure if my #s are in the clear. Might just get more RAM.
It doesn't matter what your page ins are, as you will always have those. Your page outs indicate you're maxing out your RAM and are cumulative since your last restart. If they're 4GB under normal workloads, you could benefit from more RAM.

kettlecorn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2011
It doesn't matter what your page ins are, as you will always have those. Your page outs indicate you're maxing out your RAM and are cumulative since your last restart. If they're 4GB under normal workloads, you could benefit from more RAM.

Oh thats what it means. Okay cool thanks.

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008

I've found that this Safari problem is made much worse when AdBlock is installed and activated. I deactivated it a while ago and my Safari memory issue has been massively reduced, although it does still hog memory over a few hours of browsing.

It seems to be the same persistent memory leak that's been in every version of Safari, sadly. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.