Is this a RAM issue?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macbook123, Dec 7, 2014.

1. macbook123 macrumors 68000

I'm very confused why every time I re-open a browser window that had information stored in it there seems to be zero cache, i.e., all the data have to be reloaded. This is infuriating. I thought I'd give the iPhone another try now that the screen sizes are decent, but there has got to be a workaround for this?

2. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

Some people claim that other browsers can help the reloading, but I've found there is really no difference or it's pretty negligible.

I just used a 6+ at BB mobile and I had 3 tabs open, went to the itunes store (didn't do anything, just loaded it up), then to the camera app and took two pictures, then went back to the browser, and 2 out of the 3 tabs reloaded.

It's up to the end user if this is acceptable for them on a smartphone this expensive. For me, not sure. I've been pondering over a new smartphone to get for about a month now.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Yup it's caused by the limited amount of RAM Apple gives the iPhone. Fortunately I still don't run into the issue very often.

4. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Mercury never (ok, shouldn't say never, but it seems to be timer based)reloads for me. I can come back a month later and it's still the same old tab. Tab data is stored to the phone storage. You can literally check how much space the app is taking up and it will vary drastically by how many tabs are open and with what content they've loaded.

5. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

Interesting. I have tried mercury on my 4s, but I haven't tried it on a 6. It reloads badly on my 4s, and when I return it puts me to the first tab on my list not the tab I was last on, and it reloads all tabs. Very annoying. Also I don't have the ability to get the "open with" thing like you get with safari when you open certain files.

6. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Tabs reload on all the browsers I have. They all use the same basic engine, Apple make it thus.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

It certainly does still reload all tabs. But I have to have no paid attention to them for a very long time. I have no idea how long that times is. I had a tab from October that I noticed reloaded today on me.

Anyway, more ram would be great. Mercury is just a suggestion for those who are having severe tab reload issues on newer devices. It's almost a non issue for me now.

8. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

hmm. really wish I could install apps on display models to try them.

I have been having the hardest time deciding between the note 4, nexus 6, and iPhone 6+! its been over a month now

9. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

You can always get 6 or 6 plus through Apple. Not happy? Return it!

Nexus 6 I haven't tried. Want to though. :)

10. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

All great phones!
    They all have pros and cons, none is everything to all men.
    The iFixit teardown put me off the Nexus 6 - I hate that glued on rear strip, and the slow performance from such a beast of a phone is worrying. I'd go Note 4 or 6+.

11. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

The price is honestly what had me the most disappointed with the nexus. I thought the entire point of nexus was affordable vanilla android. It's almost double what it used to be, price wise. Granted, they gave it the specs to justify the cost, but that's not what nexus is... Or ehat I thought it was anywsy.

12. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

My idea was to get one of the android phones first, since I already know that I can at least enjoy an iphone, I don't have much experience with android, so I was going to get either the nexus 6 or the note 4 and return it if I didn't like it to get the iphone. Unfortunately the nexus 6 stock is in a horrible spot, the note 4 is readily available but I would have to go with the bloated att version, which means I would have a 14 day return period versus the holiday period with apple and google, also a restocking fee.

Anyway don't want to get too off topic, but the largest reason for me even considering alternatives is RAM. :confused:

13. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

The restock fee only applies through an Att core store. Places like best buy won't charge it. :)

14. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

Too bad I still have to drive about an hour to get there lol

still has att bloat right? Att box too?

15. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Yeah still has all the Att stuff. We're you planning on ordering online or soemthing? You don't have a Best Buy, Target, Wal Mart, or RadioShack within a reasonable drive from you? You sound like me when I lived in Iowa. Lol.

16. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

I've got a walmart. Radioshack closed a year or so ago.