Is this a really bad battery life?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by adamvk, Oct 17, 2011.

1. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

The almost 2 hours you see of use was mostly playing Words with Friends (over 3G), texting a few people, and uploading one picture to Facebook....I'm fairly concerned. Should I go to Apple, or do you think the next update will fix it?

[​IMG]

2. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Your image is not going to work in that format.

3. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

4. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Ah sad day.

Well basically I'm at 69% with 4 hour 21 minute standby, and 1 hour 53 minutes usage.

And since I posted this, I haven't used my phone at all, and it's down to 65

5. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Are you using it on WiFi or 3G? What does that 1 hr 53 min of use age consist of?

6. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Better in some areas, while wore in others. I'm sure Apple could put energy into increasing how efficient the battery is, I don't think its on the top of their list of features to work on.

7. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

3G completely, I switched it on a minute before I took the screenshot. That almost 2 hour period consisted of playing Words with Friends, a little bit of texting, and one photo upload to Facebook.

8. lws macrumors newbie

So, thats 2h of usage and 30% battery gone? At this rate it will give you 6 hours and 10% left. Not exactly great, but not terrible at all. Playing games definitely sucks more battery than browsing the web. Even Words with friends.

One thing that definitely changed battery life a LOT for me was setting screen brightness to half or a litttle lower, with auto-brightness turned off. The bright screen looks awesome, but it drains your battery faster than you can say "Siri, where is the closest outlet?"

9. bryanjc macrumors regular

iPhone battery is terrible with every iteration of an iPhone.

I love how they say " up to 300 hours on standby ", who the eff leaves a phone on standby and doesnt it it all?

So, how is the battery affected when i send some texts? or make a call or surf using wifi?

It's rubbish, i love the iPhone, but i wish they would just fess up about the disgraceful battery life.

Mine is charged every single night, every single phone i've ever owned. :confused:

10. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I know plenty of people who can't make it through entire day with their Androids, even casually, old engineer types who just leave it sitting at their desk. They unplug from home, then have to plug it back up with they get to the office. Road trip? plug it in in the car.

My iPhone 4... with moderate usage, can get me through two work days if I don't plug it up. While it's not necessary with chargers everywhere, it's nice on trips or those days I forget.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

11. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Ok, so it is a problem. This is my first iPhone ever, and I'm switching from Droid. I thought all of this bad battery stuff was over, but I guess not. Hopefully iOS 5.1 fixes it.

And to the above post, I wanted personal responses to my situation. In that thread, everyone is just blabbing about their bad battery life, but no one is really responding to anyone, they're just all complaining.

12. nishishei macrumors regular

Most of the people responding to you are saying it's not a problem (extrapolating your usage gets you over 6 hrs which is typical), and you conclude that it's a problem?

13. ravensfan55 macrumors 6502

Before charging it last night I was able to get 6hrs usage and 3 days standby out of my 4.

14. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

So I did some Googling, and it appears that Words with Friends might be the big battery drain? Interesting...

15. carelesswhisper macrumors member

How so? I have this on my 2nd gen iPod and even the battery life on that is way better than on my phone.

16. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I have found my battery life to be about what the iPhone 4 was...nothing more, nothing less.

17. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

18. HeezyBear macrumors regular

I don't know what people are talking about. That looks like great battery life to me.

19. gniss39 macrumors regular

I know with my OG Droid, Words with friends would eat away battery life for breakfast if I played it constantly so it could just be the game.