Is this a refurb phone serial number

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacTo737, Jun 17, 2008.

1. MacTo737 macrumors newbie

Need help from a iphone guru. If the serial number starts with 7V, is it a refurb. I've found the thread where you guys talk about 5K is a refurb. If you know, please shed some light. Can you also tell when it was made base on a 7V serial number?

2. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

I have a refurb and mine starts with an 8. Your theory fails. Check the boards, there are topics that tell you what your serial number means. ie what version when it was made, etc

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Sorry, but nothing official on the 5K SN being designated as refurbs. I think I had one Genius Tech, make the statement back in October '07, but no one at AppleCare or Apple Support has been willing to confirm. :eek:

4. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

how could a certain serial mean refurb, they dont change the serial number when they refurb an iphone?

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Actually, they do. Apple has said they have total control over a SN and can assign a SN at will, when it comes to refurbished iPhones. They can switch out the non-functioning part and put it into a new case, then assign a new SN. :eek:

6. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

oh really, sorry for the misinformation then? thanks for pointing this out

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I was shocked as well, but this came from an Apple Store Manager, and AppleCare Support, so it was like hearing it in stereo; didn't make it any easier to hear. I initially wanted to know if I had received a refurbished iPhone back in October '07, b/c now my new iPhone Box didn't match my replacement iPhone. Still no real answers from Apple.

8. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

Either way you have a year warranty so what does it matter?

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Well, when it comes down to selling your "new" iPhone v1 with box, the SN doesn't match what is on the box, so does the value of your iPhone go down, since you "might" have a refurbished or replacement iPhone without the iPhone box to match? Does your iPhone replacement that came out of a white box fall into the category of refurbished or replacement? :eek:

10. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

Not really. Refurbs don't come in real iPhone boxes anyway. Unless you have a replacement refurb.

But in the end it doesn't matter because you don't have a warranty on the box, you have a warranty on the phone. True people like having an original box, but I have never seen or heard of anyone asking if the serial number on the box matches the serial number on the phone.

A box is a box, it just looks pretty.