Is this a scam?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rocanlover163, Aug 14, 2012.

1. rocanlover163 macrumors member

I listed my FCS 3 for sell on craiglist to sell localy, and I received an email from someone who was interested. We agreed on a price, but he wants me to ship it to FL, which is not the city I am in, and he wants to pay via paypal. He has given me his number to call him and (I haven't had a chance to call him), as well as provided me with a "website" where he works. Everything seems fine I guess, I just don't know if this could be a scam. What protection as a seller do I have with paypal? I have the address I am supposed to ship the package too, he is just waiting for me to send him an invoice via paypal.

What do you guys think? I don't want to receive then funds, me ship the package, and then have paypal take the funds back because it was a hacked account or somethine. I can post the email conversation between us as well..

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I would typically recommend Craig's List transactions be done locally in person (in a public place)

PayPal offers some protection, but typical scams involve the item allegedly arriving damaged, etc.

That said, not EVERY transaction is a scam
    But enter at your own risk
    If the $$ are high, I would probably only deal locally

3. Fishrrman macrumors G3

An alternative might be to request a U.S. Postal money order.

They are difficult to forge (although nothing's impossible), and are redeemable at any Post Office or bank.

Once cashed, the money is "in your hand", and is non-revokable if the seller raises any issues...

4. wgnoyes macrumors 6502

More like "Crooks' List".

5. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Didn't even have to read the entire thing. The second I saw the word "ship" it's most likely a scam. Craigslist=meetup in person. That's it.

6. RedCroissant Suspended

definitely a scam. especially since the topic of shipping didn't come up until after the agreement was made.

7. Romeo604 macrumors regular

nope don't do it. anything paypal/out of town is scam/out of your controlled environment.

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

never never ship with craigslist. never.

They say on the site : IN PERSON only.

Anyone who ships will lose the money unless you get cash in advance and a bank verifies that it is not counterfeit.

9. rocanlover163 thread starter macrumors member

10. mallik macrumors newbie

it is a scam

they send you malicious emails that have link not to paypal.com.
    It is a scam to get your paypal credentials.

11. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

Nearly everything in my house is from Craigslist ($2000 dining room sets, leather sectionals, kitchen islands, 55" high end LED TV, etc, all purchase for less than 50% retail). It's an amazing resource if you use it properly, but good job making that sweeping generalization :rolleyes:

12. SteppingStone macrumors member

SteppingStone

Have you googled the shipping address? Often you can find obvious scams that way. If it's a PO box or some other rented address at Mailboxes etc or wherever then it's almost certainly a scam.

13. twiggy0 macrumors 6502

Just stick to doing business locally, you'll never have any worries. As much as it might seem to not be a scam, some people out there figure out loopholes and take advantage of those.

14. rocanlover163 thread starter macrumors member

I did google the address he gave me and it did find a house, but who is to say it isn't some random address? I guess I could have called him to confirm it wasn't a scam? He also provided me with a link to the church he works at, as well as some letter from the church to him to show proof that he has relations with the church. The "pastor" has youtube video's so I know that part is real...

Anyways I have a local sell pending so hopefully that goes through. I'm just gonna stick to local selling, even if it wasn't a scam.

15. rocanlover163 thread starter macrumors member

Another quick question guys!

I have a local sell pending, me and the buyer have been going back and forth through text. They asked if they could pay through paypal.. But they said we can still meet before, so there would be no shipping involved. This seems like it would be easier don't you think? I don't have to worry about handling so much money on hand.. And it will go directly to my paypal account, i doubt this is a scam.. I mean I have the person's phone number, email and will actually meet the person face to face (I will not meet alone, someone or some people will be with me) The money being handled is between $700-$800..

What do you guys think?

16. RedCroissant, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2012

RedCroissant Suspended

Just make sure that the transaction is conducted in person. Since it's via paypal, they should be able to do everything over a smart phone. Or you could meet somewhere that has free WiFi to make it happen as well. If they're not willing to do that with you there, then you know it's a scam.

And because of CL, I also made sure I always had a counterfeit detector pen with me in the case of larger amounts being dealt with.

And what exactly are you selling and are you comfortable taking it with you?

17. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Apparently, Craig List recomends in person closing, but lets say this was done over ebay..

Simply keep the shipping invoice, as far as I know, paypal doesnt care if the guy received the product or not. He just cares if you sent it. So if you have a proof of shipment, they cant claim a refund.

You might as well record the packaging of the item, to bulletproff bad handling from postoffices scam

18. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

It has been said numerous times, but I agree. Shipping and paypal is an immediate red flag. Keep looking though, I am sure you will find a legitimate buyer.
    Good luck.

19. old-wiz macrumors G3

Paypal is heavily weighed in favor of the buyer. all these back and forths would surely indicate someone who's planning to screw you. don't bother.

20. greg555 macrumors 6502a

If you accept PayPal and hand over the item you have no proof of delivery so they can get their money back from PayPal.

21. sfxguy macrumors member

I have had 3 people try that with me on Craigslist, and I am just trying to sell my 2010 macbook pro. I am not a reseller.

I then put it up on eBay and someone bought it right away then asked for my paypal email.

They sent me a fake invoice, then when I reported them to eBay, they sent me a fake notice that eBay was going to cancel my account.

(I have since learned how to change the option to only allow verified buyers to bid and have re-listed it)

It seems to be getting really bad out there.

That being said, I did get a TBD for $700 with a valid receipt from Best Buy, that was a week old and AppleCare that checked out two weeks earlier on craigslist.

That transaction was in person.

22. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Craigslist, CASH AND IN PERSON ONLY. No exceptions really. Nervous about the amount of cash? Meet in a bank! A legitimate buyer/seller would have no issue meeting in a bank because it's a win-win. You feel safe with the money and they will feel safe taking out the money.

I've seen people try to bait me with paypal on craigslist (when I first started using it) and they send you this invoice by email that looks so real until you click on the links and figure they're fake.

23. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

In person and cash only. I have entertained mailing but ONLY after I receive a USPS money order first. No exceptions.

Needless to say, no one has ever agreed to that, which is fine by me.

Craigslist is great if you keep control of the transaction at all times.

24. wgnoyes macrumors 6502

Thank you, and I stand by it, too. Crook's List. Absolutely no doubt. You've been lucky. Every time I've tried to sell anything, I've had nothing but criminals answer using very broken english wanting to send fake postal money orders, etc, etc. It's one of the only places around where you can actually arrange to meet a perfect stranger because he claims to have something you want and now he knows you're bringing a big wad of cash with you. No thank you.

25. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

You're doing it wrong...or badly. I've been using Craigslist for 6 years and hundreds of transactions, and have NEVER had a single issue. Guess it depends on where you live. If you live in a major city, it helps a lot.