is this a scam

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Anarchy99, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

i was looking online for a older digial rebel cause i wanted a afordable feature rich camera for media arts class
    well anyway i lost a auction and then i got a email from someone saying this"
    Hello,
    I see on ebay that you are interested in purchasing some canon. I want to inform you that I have for sale a Canon EOS 300D 6.3 Megapixel but for a price of 120 $ . I have a full stock and if you buy 2 units you receive the third one for free . The canon are brand new and they come in original box with one year international warranty . The shipping and all taxes are free. The package will be in your country in 2 days by UPS ! If you are interested please contact me !"

the price sounds to good to be true but for kicks i followed up about how we would do this he responded
    "we will do this transaction troungh eBay.how many units do you want?give me your name and address for strart the transaction."

once again it sounds sketchy but if its done through ebay wouldnt that protect me
    this makes it seem more legitimate

anyway just wanted your guy's thoughts and ideas before i decide to respond back or trash the emails and keep hunting on ebay

thanks

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Out of country? To hell with that. Scam.

And hell no, eBay won't protect you.

3. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

Yea, i'll second that notion. As far as i've heard, ebay doesn't have much of an obligation to protect users. It just acts as a meeting ground. I wouldn't risk this. Just the way the emails are written has scam written all over it.

Stay far away... :)

4. AppleGuy08 macrumors 6502

AppleGuy08

Yes scam scam scam. In my years of selling and buying on ebay and craigslist, ive seen this way too many times. The next thing hell tell you is that you need to send him the money through western union, and that he will be sending you some kind of kickback bonnus or something, then the cameras will never come, his ebay account will be closed and you will have no way of ever finding the bastard because you sent the monney through WU. lol, scammers.

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Finally.. doesn't it strike you as odd that someone is offering you maybe $1200 worth of camera for $240?

6. emw macrumors G4

emw

if this sael doesnt work out for u i have a grate camera that I've barely used id be willing to part for. It s a cannon 300D (digtal rebel xt). Id like to sell it for only $400 (it was way more than that new), and can do that if u can send me first $200 via western union for I have to submit customs forms and everything to ship to u.s.

let me know if you want it - I have a lot of buyers asking about it, but you seem like a nice guy and im sory you missed out on the other auction on ebay.

7. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Do no listen him! Artist of ripping! Cousin of my estimation, being Minister for Trade, saw of seizing large shippings cannon photgraphys. Now can no release to buyer of origin, need to find buyer of US for helping. Will be paying 10,000$ US for helping.

Send 2753$ US wire or telex for Customs releasing, will balance you on shipment completing.

emw being of funny-funny, fooling me many times. Not so more, eh?

8. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

You know... about once every few weeks I see a thread with the title along the lines of, "Is this a scam?". Every single time it's been a scam. People need to learn that if they need to ask if it's a scam, it is. If you don't feel comfortable making a purchase don't do it! Even if it's not a scam!

Somebody should edit vBulletin so that if the word scam is in the title a mod auto-responds with "yes it's a scam" and the thread gets locked.

9. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I think that's really sound advice in general. Looking back, almost all the purchases that I was unsure of at the time, if I had trusted my instincts or the whole, "not feeling comfortable" part of me-- I probably would have been better off. :eek:

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Report it to eBay security - in order to get your email address they have to be a member of eBay and it is against the rules to solicit you for sale outside eBay.

Also, report it to the ISP that the email came from, or the ISP of the address they want you to reply to.

And: ANY unsolicited 'second chance' or 'I have one of those units for sale that you lost the auction on' emails should be automatically treated as a scam. The only legit Second Chance email will come through ebay's own mail generation system, and only from the original seller of the piece you bid on. Even then, there is no guarantee that it isn't a hijacked ebay account or a fraudulent seller.

11. Phat Elvis macrumors 6502

You can always tell it's a scam by the overly gracious tone. "I want to inform you that I have..." Oh, and if it's from another country ... (wait for it) ... it's a scam.

12. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

I'd say it's definitely a scam, look at the grammar: spaces between exclamation points and the actual mark, "canon are" , 120$ instead of $120, then there's this:

"we will do this transaction troungh eBay.how many units do you want?give me your name and address for strart the transaction."

i certainly would not take a chance with that, looks like a total scam. If the grammar and spelling are completely off on multiple words, it's pretty safe to assume it is not a legit transaction.

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If you have to ask if you think its a scam there is a good chance that it is.

14. b0tt094 macrumors 6502

b0tt094

Since ur looking for cheap cameras.... 99.9% have a very good chance of being a scam. If you go to an online camera store First run it through here, from what i have this website has saved people a good amount of money

resellers ratings

15. Anarchy99 thread starter macrumors 6502

ok i avoided that emailer like the plague, but continuing on my ebay adventures i got a official looking email that says:
    eBay Second Chance Offer System sent you this eBay item

I'm the seller of the item that you've recently bided through the eBay system.Item name: Canon EOS 300D 6.3 Megapixel with 1G Sandisk CF Card! Item number: (xxxxxxxxxxx I`ve just been contacted by the eBay staff who informed me that due to some reasons the eBay policy automatically proclaims you to be the winner by default. I need your agreement on this so I can contact eBay to confirm you that you're the winner, otherwise I'll relist the item. I am sorry for the inconvenience, but I need an answer asap. You will have the oportunity to purchase the item at your last given price wich is US $150.00 .If you agree my offer please respond this email or contact me at xxxxxxxxxx@yahoo.com . Thank you!"

(yes i Xed out the item # and email just incase this is legit and good)
    the seller has 970 with 99.8% feedback and a powerseller
    the potential bad part is item location is hong kong

now is this one likely to be a scam

thanks

16. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

If you feel the need to start a thread like this, it very likely it's a scam. I even know ebay gives you warning about recieving emails from other users about potential scams.

If you like ebay, only deal with auctions and then through paypal.

If dealing with Craigslist, always deal local!

17. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

You know, I'm trying to give you the benefit of doubt, that you are not just trolling. Are you OK? Sure? I really wonder in that case, because you were just told above in this thread about how the "second chance" trick is a well known scam. Yet you ask this very question. Hmm. It's like saying "I was just offered a really good deal on the Brooklyn Bridge, is this legit?".

Really, buddy. Either quit trolling or smarten up. In any case, don't waste everyone's time asking such questions. By the way, I have some beautiful seaside property in Ohio I'll sell you real cheap :)

18. Anarchy99 thread starter macrumors 6502

sorry but this seemed different to me
    this showed me a ebay id with feedback to see instead of an anonymous mail about a auction and it was official looking html mail
    i ask these questions cause im nervous its your choice to answer or ignore it i would probably even ask about a powerseller with 100% positive feedback
    im new to it new things are scary but its also potentially great so i dont want to miss out
    sorry for the stupid questions

19. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

#1: Ebay doesn't spell "Bid" incorrectly on Second Chance Offer emails :rolleyes:
    #2: ANY Ebay member can see that you bid on an auction and didn't win it. If you have a history of bidding on stupidly low priced high end equipment, you are a prime target for scammers. Never contact a supposed eBay seller outise of eBay. If they are real, you can go through the "contact seller" or "ask seller a question" links from the original auction. A yahoo, hotmail, outblaze or other free webmail account is untraceable and anonymous, therefore well loved by scammers.
    #3: You are never 'automatically' made the winner AFTER an auction is closed. You may be offered a Second chance if the lead bidder fails to take it, but it's never automatic.
    #4: Ebay never requires you to 'log in' and fill in any infomation. They already know you through your account. Any request to 'log in' through an email link likely leads to a phishing 'ebay lookalike' site that will steal your info. Consequently, on both eBay and PayPal, never take the links offered to you in an email, always log in by typing www.ebay.com in the browser manually.
    When you log into eBay, you should see in your Messages the records of all mails and offers that were generated through the eBay system. If your Second Chance email isn't in there, then it didn'nt come from eBay.

and the ever popular #5:
    How many $^@&^ times do we have to repeat: "A Canon DSLR for $120 or $150 is a scam, hands down, no question, no debate needed"?

Now do the right thing and send the email to spoof@ebay.com and then forget the $150 Canons, already.

20. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

You're wasting your time. Either the OP is a troll, or he's one of those folks who are just not ever going to get it. Ever read about those folks who fall for an extremely obvious Nigerian scam, and then refuse to believe when told repeatedly that it's a scam? Instead, they keep pouring good money after bad. Some folks just don't have what it takes to avoid even the dumbest cons. Nobody with half a brain would have even made the first post. Sorry, but that's the truth.

21. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

On a related note... I found it very funny when someone tried to scam me out of three bookshelves I was selling on Craigslist for $10 total recently. Obviously not a lot of money, but the fact that they were trying to get them for free was just amusing.

People scam for everything....

22. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Shh.... I'm preaching to the REST of the choir here. ;)