Is this a scratch or a mark? How do I get rid of it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shoegal, Mar 24, 2011.

1. shoegal macrumors member

Yesterday I took my 2011 mbp unibody out of its sleeve and i noticed this:

http://postimage.org/image/exvggap0/

tried to rub it off but it won't give. It doesn't feel like a scratch and it shows in certain lighting. What is this and how do I get rid of it? :(

2. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

it does look like it's a light scratch. does your sleeve have a zipper on it or something.

3. shoegal, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011

shoegal thread starter macrumors member

yes:( That makes me very sad! Since it's a light scratch is there anything I can do? It's rather dark now, is it possible to just lighten it up a bit so it's not AS visible. I'd already ordered a hard shell too but it's not here yet. There goed my resell value...

4. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

5. simsaladimbamba

It may take a Euro or two off the resale value.
    It still works, and the people I know, don't see one tiny scratch as value deprecation, as the machine still works. It is a tool and it will get marks over time. Get used to it, or baby it and whatever.

Btw, the simple past of "go" is "went".

6. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Honestly, your best bet is to deal with it in my opinion. it's small so I wouldn't worry about resale. As a buyer, a perfect screen would be more of a concern to me than a small scratch on the body.

The thing about scratches is often as likely in this case, you can't do anything to it without messing up more of the finish on the rest of the device.

Reminds me of my 1st gen iPhone. Had a little scratch on the back and ended up having to go for the brushed steel look I messed it up to bad while trying to fix.

You said you're getting a case so you should be set. Other than that, with a shield on you likely wouldn't even see it.

7. shoegal thread starter macrumors member

Seriously, that was a typo. But I bet it made you feel REALLY good to point that one out to me. Glad I made your day.

8. shoegal thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I guess I'll have to put the case on and forget about it. The first scratch always hurts a little bit.

9. simsaladimbamba

Oh yeah.
    Or I may have thought you are not a native speaker. Anyway, enjoy your crack.

10. shoegal thread starter macrumors member

Uncalled for.

11. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

Believe it or not electronics shops use baby oil to buff up metal refrigerators, so why not dab a bit of baby oil onto a cotton ball or paper napkin and try rubbing some into the scratch and see what happens?

Baby oil is non-corrosive so it certainly won't damage your MBP, and it may help make the scratch less noticeable.

12. shoegal thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely try!

13. simsaladimbamba

Then use the [​IMG] button to report the post, if you think it is uncalled for.
    You made the assumption, me pointing out some mistake would make my day.
    I know several non-native speakers of my language and many don't mind being corrected. I just presumed you would not know the English language and my intention was to help.

Btw, never go into TNZ.

14. shoegal thread starter macrumors member

If that was your intention, then I'm sorry I got all defensive.