Is this a Sign ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MoeOz, Jul 17, 2008.

1. MoeOz macrumors member

I've been reading this for a couple of weeks now in this forums and i was worried but now its like i'm really getting nervous .. its just the second time to happen and both was after my MBP being sleep for a while and in many other sites too , first time i did a restart and everything back normal and now im just sending this first .. is it the Nvidia thingy after all ?:confused:

Attached Files:

2. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

I may be wrong, but I think that's a Safari-Related rendering issue. Have you tried on Firefox?

3. MoeOz thread starter macrumors member

u mean this is a known issue with safari ? .. i didnt try another browser yet but i will now .. but its never happened be4 as i remember but a couple of days ago and now and yes with safari .. maybe its the latest update ??

4. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Happened a lot with Safari on my machine when I ran on battery power. Problem solved when I updated to 10.5.3 or 4 I don't remember.

5. MoeOz thread starter macrumors member

Well its never happened with me before but nowdays , i'm on 10.5.4 - SafariVersion 3.1.2 (5525.20.1) .. not running on battery thu .

6. hitnrun7 Guest

That has happened on my Mac Mini, its still kicking. Its a safari issue, try firefox...

7. MoeOz thread starter macrumors member

Ok .. i'm feeling better now , thank you guys .

8. hitnrun7 Guest

Anyday..... I need a MBP...

9. crobbins macrumors 6502

Yeah..I panicked when this happened to me the other day. I figured out it was Safari as it's not doing it in Opera or Firefox..

10. TheCookie macrumors regular

TheCookie

Was happening to me in Safari and Word after I came back from sleeping, but since the last update to the OS, I haven't had the problem.

11. ryanrul macrumors member

I had the same problem and it quickly developed into a bigger issue effecting not only safari, but lots of other apps like iphoto and itunes. Apple replaced my computer with no questions when i showed them a video of what was happening (i was still within the 14 days and it was the second replacement).

Next time it happens open up iphoto or itunes and resize the window a bunch of times quickly and see if you get a garbled display.

12. bloo macrumors newbie

this isn't a safari issue. like one of the previous posters stated, this happens in any application.

i have the same problem in firefox, address book, mail, safari, adium, FINDER, etc. essentially anything where you can scroll.

i'm currently on my 3rd mbp. apple has agreed to give me a new mbp whenever the next revision comes out since none of the software updates (10.5.3 and 10.5.4) didn't resolve the issue.

13. lag1090 macrumors 6502

If it were an issue with the graphics card, the issue would not show up in a screenshot. The graphics card only controls what is output to a monitor, not what is output to a screenshot.

14. hitnrun7 Guest

Bingo.

15. lordthistle macrumors 6502

This sentence is very funny :confused: :eek:

This problem is related to the drivers. Apple shipped a notebook without being able to write proper drivers for the hw they chose. The drivers are lousy even after a graphics update and a couple of os revisions. Shame.

thistle

16. sclough macrumors regular

Glad to here Apple was responsive on this issue, as I'm taking in my MBP next week. This has become extremely annoying and, in my case, affects iPhoto, Finder, Safari, etc.

There's also a long discussion on Apple's forums about it here:
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1419469&tstart=0

17. Fabiano macrumors regular

And how these guys with defective GPUs are taking screenshots and posting around this forum?

18. ryanrul macrumors member

From that thread ... anyone care to comment?

19. Fabiano macrumors regular

I have to say that I waited almost 10 years to buy my first laptop from Apple and now that I have done it I realize that I have a bomb ready to explode in my hands... Im disapointed. Im really concerned about this GPU issue, because here is not that easy to replace my MBP, if it would be the case... the nearest Apple Service is 800Km away from me, and they take so long to solve things... I cant wait 1 month or more to have my laptop fixed.

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm glad this has come up, though sorry it is happening to others.
    I posted, or attempted to post this issue some time back with my MacPro. It's about 12 weeks old and started probably a week after I got it. It was only happening in Safari then began in itunes. I am still running 10.5.3 so maybe the 10.5.4 update will help.

I've been meaning to call Apple, but now that someone has clearly outlined the issue I think I'll give them a call today and point them to the forum.

I thought it was a graphics card (I have the 8800), but I take it that it is not.
    I'd like not to have to lug this thing back to the store, but if so, I guess I will.

21. MoeOz thread starter macrumors member

So do you guys think this is only a start ?? .. actually its not happening anywhere so far only safari & only after sleep but nowhere else .

Ps: i have all the latest updates installed .

22. sclough macrumors regular

Just took mine into the Apple store yesterday. The guy at the genius bar was helpful but didn't seem to be knowledgeable about the problem even though I clearly demonstrated it. He rebooted to run some diagnostics and for some reason I wasn't able to reproduce the defect after the reboot. I'm not sure how long it takes the problem to show up. I definitely know it's worse when the machine is on battery power.

Anyway, he shipped it off for repair so we'll see what they do to it.

23. powersurge macrumors member

I thought only the 8400 and 8600 chips were faulty leaving the Mac Pro and iMac safe?

24. lordthistle macrumors 6502

This issue has been known for months. And it is related to drivers. At least this is the most common interpretation. It might be it is wrong.

With 10.5.2 it was a nightmare. With 10.5.4 it is much better but some kind of graphics problems are still here. Sometimes you cannot scroll, you cannot read text, you cannot watch videos.

If you happen to work on a previous generation MBP with an ATI card you do realize that MacOS is NOT (yet) able to run a nVidia card. Sometimes it looks like MB's x3100 is more capable than a 8600.

Apple refuses to have their drivers developed by nVidia: this is the result. Would it be better? No one knows, but I need to reboot my machine every two or three days because graphics becomes lousy.

Apple is still used to PPC-like hw evolution. But on this side of the world hw runs.

thistle

25. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

Yeah, its Safari. It happened to me on my G5 a couple of times. I just Quit Safari, and restarted it.