Is this a software or hardware issue?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ClemTiger0408, Jun 25, 2009.

1. ClemTiger0408 macrumors 6502

I got the iPhone 3GS on Saturday. This is my third iPhone so I am very familiar with the device.

Since I got the 3GS every now and again, the screen becomes unresponsive to touch. Like, I might slide the screen over one and the screen won't do anything. The only thing that will make it work again is if I lock and unlock, which works every time.

I didn't have 3.0 till I got the 3GS so I wasn't sure if this was a software issue with 3.0 or the hardware on my new phone.

My concern is that I cannot repeat this issue on command so even if I take it to the Apple store there is no way I could prove to them the issue.

2. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

I'm guessing software, some people claim it's buggy. Just restore and see if that helps.

3. Acronym macrumors 68000

i had this exact smae issue sometimes i couldnt slide to answer calls or click on icons.

i just finished a restore and i set it up as a new phone so i am waiting to see if this changes anything.

if it doesnt im screwed cause i bought the iphone outright for 811$ and Rogers doesnt refund items over 600$

ill let you know what i find

4. blueturf macrumors member

5. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

I'm sure apple will replace it if your having trouble.

6. ClemTiger0408 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, then it sounds like a 3.0 issue and not a hardware issue.

If that is the case then I have confidence that Apple will resolve the issue (eventually).

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I had this issue on the 3G before OS 3.0, but since upgrading to OS 3.0 have not seen the problem again.

8. Acronym macrumors 68000

so after my restore i noticed i was still getting this bug, but i also noticed that lightly taping the phone on another object causes it to become responsive again.

i wonder what this means

9. kmt88 macrumors newbie

This happened on my 1st gen iphone quite a bit, usually when I was receiving a call and once or twice so far on my 3gs.

10. JohnFa macrumors regular

This sounds more like it's something wrong with the touch screen. I would get it replace if I were you, if it doesn't get solved with a restore.