Is this a spam?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hajime, Feb 18, 2014.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello,

I received the following email on my yahoo account. It was put in the Spam folder by yahoo. The email address of the sender is: "Apple" <online@apple.com>

Please confirm your apple ID.
    Confirmation of your Apple ID gives you easy access to a variety of Apple services, including the iTunes Store, Apple Online Store, iChat, and more. We will not share your information with anyone else unless you authorize us to do so.

confirm Now (<---- a click-able link)

Is this a spam or is it for real?

2. TsunamiTheClown macrumors 6502a

TsunamiTheClown

If you haven't recently (and i mean like just now) signed up for an apple ID I would trash it. Is your Apple ID associated with that email address?

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I would never click on a link that comes from an unsolicited email.

4. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

No it isn't. That's the address that was filled in by a spammer to make it look like it came from Apple. You can put anything you want in that field. I could send you an email from god@heaven.com but you probably wouldn't believe that, there is no more reason to believe the one from apple.

Junk it.
    Never click on links in emails like that especially if they ask you to confirm details like logins, bank account details etc. Even if you think its 100% genuine, just go to the website directly, that way you'll never be caught out by a very good fake.

5. Diving Capers, Jun 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2017

Diving Capers macrumors regular

Diving Capers

Forward to Apple (if there's an email address you can send it to) and trash

PS: I'm a Nigerian prince and I have a safe in my garage with U$ 15,345,876.45, however I have lost the combination and key. I have a friend who is a trusted locksmith but he will only open the safe if I give him a 2017 12.9 512GB iPad Pro with Smart Cover and pencil. If you send me the funds to purchase these items I will then send you 59% of the cash in the safe after my trusted locksmith opens it for me.

6. campyguy macrumors 68030

Maybe you should note that the last post was about 3-1/2 years ago… :rolleyes: Yup.

7. Diving Capers macrumors regular

Diving Capers

Lmao I saw it on the front page and didn't even look at the dates...

I even edited my post and added a little story.

8. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

I've had this policy for years, and it has worked great:

If you didn't request the email, don't read it; just trash it.
    If you requested the email, don't click it. Just go to the official site manually and check what's up.
    If you must verify something from an email you requested, any reputable one will come with "if the link does not work, use this token/code/whatever, .." just take that via copy and paste it in the official site.