is this a steal?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zblaxberg, Jun 20, 2007.

1. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

2. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

I can't really tell you if it's a steal or not since I'm not sure about quality and price comparison, but make sure to check out www.dealnews.com for that kind of stuff. I bought an external hard drive 2 years ago using a deal I found there and it was great for my budget.

3. slu macrumors 68000

slu

It's a pretty good deal.

That being said, you indicated that you will be going into video. If you are strictly going to be using this for backup purposes, then you are fine with this.

But, since this drive is USB 2.0, I would not recommend it as a scratch disk when editing. For that job I'd recommend a FW400 external drive, at least. A FW800 drive is preferable however.

4. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

timswim78

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Looks like a good deal, although I prefer using FireWire HDDs. :)

6. zblaxberg thread starter Guest

zblaxberg

what would the difference between fw and usb be? Just a faster transfer speed? Is there any difference in lifetime or anything else?

sry for the noob question...i know computers but not so much when it comes to hard drives.

7. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

timswim78

I usually get faster transfer speeds with firewire than with USB, although USB is theoretically faster (480 vs. 400).

Also, there is a good chance that your USB ports will be occupied by things like printers, keyboards, thumb drives, etc. Your FW ports on the other hand are almost always available.

You can get the same deal at OfficeDepot.com. They are much more reputable than Tiger Direct
    http://www.officedepot.com/textSearch.do?uniqueSearchFlag=true&Ntt=985115

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

FW in real world performance is faster than USB 2.0. Not sure if it is more reliable or anything like that though... :)