Is this a suitable caddy for Optidrive?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Happy Marsden, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Happy Marsden macrumors member

CD-DVD-ROM-Optical-Bay-IDE-PATA-TO-SATA-2nd-HDD-Caddy-Tray

It is PATA to SATA. I need it to install a 2.5" SATA HD in the Superdrive optibay of the 2007 20" iMac. But I'm not sure if there's an issue with the connector. I read the connector on the back of the superdrive is JAE (While the Superdrive is PATA). Will the connector on the above caddy fit what is in the 2007 iMac?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes that will work. The connector type in the iMac is JAE, but it uses the PATA protocol. The connector is sometimes called an ATAPI connector, it also uses the PATA protocol.

3. Happy Marsden thread starter macrumors member

Sorry if I'm a still a bit murky on this Intell, but are you sure this caddy will do? My doubts come from a photo I recently saw of the optibay that shows what appears to be a male JAE connector on the motherboard. This plugs into the Supedrive optibay caddy, which according to another photo, sports what looks like a female JAE connector. Presumably, the Superdrive itself plugs into a PATA connector, which is coupled with this JAE connector.

If my understanding here is correct, and if the caddy linked above does not have JAE anything (only PATA), then the caddy (or bare 2.5" SATA HD) will not marry to the male JAE connector on the iMac motherboard.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

5. Happy Marsden thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot for steering me right, I. I'll buy the one I linked.