Is this a vga to dvi adaptor?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by seh80, Jan 5, 2010.

1. seh80 macrumors 6502

seh80

First off, I apologize for such a stupid question.

My fiance who lives in Canada has been a PC guy. On his recent visit here, I gave him my Mac Mini (it was one of the first ones out, several years ago), so we can communicate a little easier, and just because it's time he goes Mac! ;)

Anyway he gets home and tells me I forgot the vga to dvi adaptor. >.< I had forgotten its existence since I never used it...

Is this: it? The code on the package is 603-0607. I googled that code, and did find something about DVI, but I figure it can't hurt to ask, before I go and mail a package all the way out there. Does that look like what came with the old minis?

Thanks so much for help. I think this is it, but making sure never hurts right? :confused:

2. robj macrumors regular

With that, you can connect a VGA display to your Mac.

If you never used it, how did you connect your display to the Mac Mini?

In any case, that's a MiniDVI - VGA adapter :)

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's either Mini-DVI to VGA or Mini-DVI to DVI but I guess it's VGA as DVI look like this:

[​IMG]

And VGA looks like this:

[​IMG]

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

It's really, really hard to tell from that picture. A shot of the ends of the cables would be more helpful. All of Apple's adapters look more or less the same. However, that looks like a VGA display adapter to me. Note the two lines on the top of the smaller connector, which the mini-DVI adapters lack.

I think the early Mac Mini models used full-sized DVI ports, so you'd be looking for something more like this. (Hopefully someone else can confirm that for me.) It might be helpful if you could tell us which model your fiancé is using.

Edit: I took a closer look at my adapters and I'm pretty certain you've got a mini-VGA to VGA adapter, which won't work with the Mini.

5. seh80 thread starter macrumors 6502

seh80

It is the original mini.

I had a Polyview V293 monitor, and I didn't need any adaptor? :confused:
    I don't know what my fiance has, but he says he needs it.

Shots of the ends of the cables were requested, which cables? I'm sorry I don't know which ones are meant. My fiance's monitor cable? Or?

Thank you all for the replies. I think I got a yes that works and a no it doesn't in these answers... so I'll post any other pics requested, and answer whatever I can.

Thanks again!

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The original G4 based Mac Mini has a DVI port. You need a DVI to VGA adaptor (that's the way the signal flows, not VGA to DVI). All Minis shipped with them. It's a small white plastic item with a DVI port on one side and a VGA port on the other side. It has no cable to it at all. It should look like the one on this Apple kb page.

7. seh80 thread starter macrumors 6502

seh80

Ohh, okay, after digging I found this. Needs to be cleaned up a little, but it's in fine shape. So I guess thats it? Looks the same as the picture in the link you gave. Thank you.

Thanks for all the replies. I am so glad that I asked.
    Maybe I'll send both, just in case? I hope this will cover it.

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I was referring to the ends of the adapters, since the side view doesn't tell us much. But yes, the second adapter looks right, insofar as I can tell from the picture you posted.