Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

besler3035

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
I checked out my Preferences folder today to get rid of a few things, and saw a document labeled as "cf#JOsIG"

I'm wondering if this is one of those AIM viruses for Windows computers, and if so, I'd love to delete it :)

Can one of you please tell me what in the world this is?

besler3035

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
Flying Llama said:
There are no viruses on Mac OS X...
Open it with textedit, I'm curious now!

llama :p

I can't open the file, because it can't be opened by a Mac application (at least on my system). The icon is just a generic paper icon, usually used when the application isn't installed or if it's a different kind of file that the computer doesn't recognize (.EXE perhaps).

I'm not too worried about it, as I haven't seen any change in my computer's performance. It's supposedly been there since May 20th, when I installed Tiger on my system (or upgraded to 10.4.1, can't remember). It's in the user preferences. So if anyone else wants to check this out, go to User>Library>Preferences and see if it's there.

besler3035

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
Nermal said:
Drag it onto the TextEdit icon.

Did that, here's what it says:

bplist00Ö _AgentLastLaunched_Theme.UnreadArticleHeaderColor_ Theme.UserParam.SafariPrefStyles]MaxDaysToKeep]GroupCriteria_#Theme.HighlightUnreadArticleHeaders>ÌmOG typedstream?è„@„„„NSColor„„NSObject…„c„ffffƒ?~þÿƒ?†‡ƒ>”•†_?.unread .author { color: rgb(99.607841%,52.549023%,14.509805%); } .unread .date { color: rgb(99.607841%,52.549023%,14.509805%); }Ñ _$55BD5329-3661-48C5-9139-671A7B69668E§Pd_'http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/rss/news )Jm{‰¯´þ‚„‡®¶¸º»½çè

So, by the looks of things, it has something to do with ESPN.com, Safari, and RGB color. So I guess it's nothing to worry about, but I'd still like to know what it is. The size of the file is 4 KB.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Well, a quick way to see if its important. Throw it in the trash , Don't empty. Now go about your day using your machine, and if you that you have to set something back up then that might be what the file is for. Judging on that text you posted its a Safari preference file. RSS for ESPN.com it looks like, its pointless IMO.

besler3035

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
GimmeSlack12 said:
Well, a quick way to see if its important. Throw it in the trash , Don't empty. Now go about your day using your machine, and if you that you have to set something back up then that might be what the file is for. Judging on that text you posted its a Safari preference file. RSS for ESPN.com it looks like, its pointless IMO.

Well, I trashed it (not emptied) and went on to ESPN.com and everything's fine on the main website, including the RSS version of it. So I guess everything's okay...I'll hold on to it for the day and see if I notice any changes or anything.

Thanks for your help.

darkwing

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
besler3035 said:
Did that, here's what it says:
So, by the looks of things, it has something to do with ESPN.com, Safari, and RGB color. So I guess it's nothing to worry about, but I'd still like to know what it is. The size of the file is 4 KB.

I think it might be a cookie. Maybe Safari messed up and put it in the wrong place?

Steven

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
darkwing said:
I think it might be a cookie. Maybe Safari messed up and put it in the wrong place?

Sounds to me like it was just a temp file that was created during writing to another file (like the plist that holds bookmarks info for Safari) and was not deleted because the task was interrupted. It happens occasionally, and temp files usually have weird names like that.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
darkwing said:

Steven

For security reasons, Safari probably COULDN'T HAVE put it in the wrong place. Oh well. Repair permissions, yada yada yada.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Safari wouldn't have put it in the wrong place, but Safari does have permission to write to the prefs folder, and it's entirely possible that it saved some sort of temp file there and then didn't delete it (perhaps because it crashed--that's usually the cause of leftover temp files). I'd have expected it to put files like that in with its cache files (which, I believe, are in Application Support), but there might be a reason that file's listed as a pref instead.

Certainly nothing untoward, though.

besler3035

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
Mechcozmo said:
Upload it to this site: Linkety

Best site ever for those of us with no anti-virus protection :D

Whoops...accidentally emptied my trash a little while ago. Nothing's been effected though, so I guess it was just something taking up 4 KB worth of space. :D

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
besler3035 said:
Whoops...accidentally emptied my trash a little while ago. Nothing's been effected though, so I guess it was just something taking up 4 KB worth of space. :D

Oh well. Bookmark that site though-- amazingly handy for uploading stuff that your Windows buddies send you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.