Is this a Virus?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by phundercover, Feb 22, 2013.

1. phundercover macrumors newbie

ClamXav is reporting I have a virus - BC.Heuristic.Trojan.SusPacked.BF-6.B - in my (Thunderbird) Inbox but can't find anything on the internet about this affecting a Mac. Is this a false positive?

I have a MacBook Pro running Lion 10.7.5.

Thanks.

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Just delete the email. It probably came along with an email from a Windows PC.

You might want to inform the person that sent the email that they have a virus .

3. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

Looks like a win32 virus but why wouldn't you delete it to be safe anyway?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's a Windows trojan that cannot execute or affect your Mac in any way. Just delete it and you'll be fine. There has never been a Mac OS X virus in the wild, and only a few trojans, which are easily avoided by practicing safe computing.

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Probably not a false positive. ClamXAV scans for for viruses from all major platforms.

Even though a Windows virus won't affect you directly, it's still not a good idea to just the infected file sit there. You don't want to pass the file on later and become a "carrier."

It would probably also be a good idea to find the person who sent you the message with the infected file, and let them know.