Is this adhesive residue behind my iMac glass?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ckeck, Jun 30, 2013.

1. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

I bought the new slim 27" iMac back in March and I immediately noticed this when unboxing. It looks like streaks/residue on the outside of the glass but no amount of iklear or Windex will take it off (it's not in the outside).

I had originally assumed it was just all the new adhesive people were talking about with these machines and that it wasn't full cured. Thought it might take a few weeks to settle.

Well, it's now been 3-4 months and it's there as bad as ever. Does anyone else have this problem? I almost forgot about it because when the machine is on you don't notice at all, just when it's off. Looks hidious and I'm afraid it may hurt me when I go to sell sometime down the road.

:confused:

http://cl.ly/image/3j2H080U433X

Sorry, best pic I could get with the glass screen there. Imagine this tenfold in terms of visibility.

2. drambuie macrumors 6502a

From your photo it looks like randon patterning from the anti-reflective metallic coatings. The multi-colored nature of the patterns is a good indicator of this. It will show up in bright reflected light from the screen when the display is off, but should have no effect on viewing content on the screen. My iMac also has this. It gets worse when you first try to wipe a greasy fingerprint off the screen. It's an artifact from light refraction by the coatings.

This is also visible on CRT displays with aggressive anti-reflective coatings.

3. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

There is no multi-colored action going on here, it's just a white haze behind the screen. It doesn't change, is only in certain areas, etc.

Really odd. Just not sure if I should push for a replacement before waiting too much longer.

Can anyone else with a late-2012 model 27" iMac chime in and let me know if yours has this same issue as well? Wonder just how common this is.

Even though it doesn't impact me while using it, I don't care to see something obviously going on behind the glass on a $2600 computer.

4. sedge macrumors newbie

It looks like some form of agent used before the glass panel is applied. You could get some magnets, lift it out and give it a good clean? If it still doesnt clear up Take it to a store and make them gurus you a definitive answer, if they um and aw, then they dont know. you could then easily get it replaced under warranty

5. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Is this newest model still mounted with magnets? I had thought all of the new models were using adhesive instead. I wouldn't dare try that myself nor would I want the store opening it up and messing around with it.

Probably going to call AppleCare and talk to them about it before taking it to the store.

After a cursory glance here in the iMac forums it seems there are several screen related issues of one kind or another =\

6. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I would not mess with it. Your screen is glued to the glass and then glass is glued to case. Would be quite the undertaking for most people. I would be tempted to ask for a replacement. Who knows what can go wrong if they try and take it apart and fix the problem.

It looks like a gas ghost or oxidization from glue between the screen and glass to me. Or just plain outright, was not cleaned properly before assembly. Remember I am not a tech repairman, I am just offering my opinion.

Talk to AppleCare and set up an appointment with the Genius Bar, then take it in. When talking to AppleCare, let them know that you would be concerned about having your iMac taken apart. Just be a bit pushy about having it replaced. No guarantee it will happen (replace) but worth the try.

Good luck with it!

7. Fatboy71 macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

Not sure if you have tried this, but get a couple of micro fibre cloths. Get a dish of water and dip the micro fibre cloth in it and wring out as much water as possible. Give the screen a wipe with it, then wipe dry with other dry micro fibre cloth and see if the marks go.

8. CoinOP macrumors member

It's in the inside. Just return it or regret later.

9. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

10. sedge macrumors newbie

just had a look on the GSX, the new iMac's are basically big ipad's. you have to go in from behind, the glass is bonded using a super compound and is more or less impossible to unseal:eek:. Take it back, they'll happily give you a new one as its a known issue

11. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Spoke to Apple and pushed hard for a swap or straight refund but they want to crack the thing open and fiddle around inside first.

This concerns me for two reasons:

1) The glue/adhesive doesn't seem to come apart nicely and who knows what could be done during that process.

2) Every iMac I've ever owned or had in the office that needed to be repaired by Apple either came back with dust under the glass or a tilted/off-center LCD.

I'd almost rather them not even touch it if they won't just swap it or refund. What do you guys think? Should I let them have at it?

12. Jedi Master macrumors regular

Take it to a store for a review and have them look at it

Take it to a store for a review and have them look at it

----------

Take it to a store for a review and have them look at it. If it needs to be replaced They will replace it